Which external graphic card would you advise?

New to Thea? Feel free to ask anything here and we will help!
pbacot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks.

There is always a caveat that one needs to ask the developer if the SW supports / can use eGPU.

I have TB2 --and I should say I am considering buying a different Mac with it. I bought a top 2018 MBP this year and took it back. It had zero performance boost over my 2013 for all the cost. It didn't seem capable of rendering in background (with Twilight) and other issues...High cost just to change the batteries and lack of upgrades. All it had was TB3! I had to buy a bus board and various adapters to plug anything into it.
pbacot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:33 pm

nigec wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:05 pm
going by this
viewtopic.php?f=167&p=185365#p185365
Kepler onwards should be ok, currently compute 2.x cards work but they are on borrowed time

The Optix denoiser and whether that is supported I don't know, I have a card that's going to be defunked soon
I saw that but I don't understand much of it. No reference point for knowing what Kepler is or 2.x etc.

I assume Kepler is older than Fermi, just going historically.
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:16 am

pbacot wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm
Thanks.

There is always a caveat that one needs to ask the developer if the SW supports / can use eGPU.

I have TB2 --and I should say I am considering buying a different Mac with it. I bought a top 2018 MBP this year and took it back. It had zero performance boost over my 2013 for all the cost. It didn't seem capable of rendering in background (with Twilight) and other issues...High cost just to change the batteries and lack of upgrades. All it had was TB3! I had to buy a bus board and various adapters to plug anything into it.
i really doubt that, thats almost impossible that there was no boost.

PS those TB3 are your friend if you want use eGPU. I believe with the 2018 model Apple officially supported eGPU out of the box. So no need for all kind of wacky scripts and lots of hustling to get a eGPU to work