Human Skin example (Digital Emily)

New to Thea? Feel free to ask anything here and we will help!
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Human Skin is probably one of the most difficult materials to create and many times people where asking how to do this with Thea.
here is an example of a skin material I have created using the Digital Emily model (and textures) that arte freely available at this link.
http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Research/DigitalEmily/

the Thea material I am posting is just one of the ways you can create realistic looking skin with Thea ... so its not the only way or the best possible ;)

the advantage of this material is that you can reuse it and only change the textures without having to make any other changes to the settings (but the model should be at real world scale). if you want more or less "sss/translucency" effect, you just change the scattering value in the medium settings (higher value = more dense material, lower value = more translucent).

you can get the Thea material from this link:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajvw5nv1vjWahWFrEH7TohEP02B9

Greetings,
Patrick
Attachments
Digital_Emily_Thea_Render.jpg
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 pm

NIce finally see this post come, ive linked a setup from a post you shared couple years back in beta section. PS where is the model download link at that page, ive scanned the web page but cant seem the model link??

EDIT
okay found them, perhaps add a link to emily v2 page, this page has the actual model and textures ;)

I see your using a different setup from the other one. Im check out the difference with the other setup.

PS did you also close the model buste at the bottom? Medium wont really work otherwise.
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 am

Did some tweaking and added additional maps, also made normal maps for the skin. BUmp looks a bit nicer. Still need to work on the roughness. This is a MCp render, wanted to do TR2 but took ages. I did tweak it a bit in photoshop, get most of the sharpness out of the shot, that made it look fake.

I also try the other material i have with additional tweaks. Curious how that will aside of this one.

PS the eyes were tricky, but i remembered a setup i made very long ago. Normally i have the cornea separate from the sclera or below it. This eye uses quite nifty setup.

She does look a bit sweaty doesnt she ;)

One question though, why is the scatter color a blue tint and why doesnt this show blue but red in the render?
Attachments
Emily-Human-Project_skin05_POST.jpg
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:12 am

Hi Rombout,
One question though, why is the scatter color a blue tint and why doesnt this show blue but red in the render?
this is the key element of the skin material setup to make it work for all kind of skin colors ;)

if you delete the diffuse texture and replace the translucency texture with a white color, you will see what I mean. The scattering color of the thin parts of the model will be the opposite color of the one you pick (in this case I use bluish color to get red scattering color in the thin parts).

here are some renders to show how it looks like with only diffuse color Texture (keeping the reflectance , bump etc.) then with Translucent white color + medium ... and the final render how it looks combined. with this setup you can use any skin color texture and it should work.

Greetings,
Patrick
Attachments
Digital_Emily_Thea_Render_02.jpg
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:47 pm

Aha, i remember something about that, i think it was absorption in thea or kerky thea. Where the color also needed to be the opposite. But that rule doesnt always apply or does it? Sometimes i do see the scatter i choose, yet now it seems to get the opposite. What and why is that?

I checked my other skin setup but it doesnt look as good as this one. The skin turned out way darker, it was initially setup for dark tinted people.
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 pm

These images are a bit freaky... in a awesome way...
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
mekks

Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks so much Patricks.
alarawany

Mon May 28, 2018 11:50 am

wow.....that is a very nice post by you....
SarahC

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm

I've learned a lot from your material - thank you for posting it here, and not in the Licensed area!

I had an experiment with lighting to see what the translucency and SSS were like - they're fantastic!
I've got an "adult" model - a "Spirit Chode" - that would benefit considerably from what I've learned. Awesome!

The texture isn't quite yours straight out of the box - I've increased the roughness, and decreased the transparency of the layers, as the bright sunny beach was making her look quite sweaty.

I can't get a Fresnel ramp texture figured out for her hair! My experiments have created awesome looking velvet, which is entirely the wrong direction I wanted to go in. Does anyone have any ideas? Google search turned up nothing specific For Thea. I could try reading some other articles for other renders and have a go at setting up the equivalent in Thea.

BeachDemon.jpg
BunkerDemon.jpg
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:12 am

hahah is she Supermans wife, shes got laser eyes.