Human Skin example (Digital Emily)

New to Thea? Feel free to ask anything here and we will help!
SarahC

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:54 am

The top one took 24 hours on a GTX970 and 8 core i7 3.5GHz PC. It involved lots of fans because it's so hot in the UK right now (30ish).
I'm in love with translucency and SSS.

The eyes - hah, a moment of necessity, which turned out interesting.
I'd downloaded the model and skins in the morning, and found the eyes wouldn't texture properly in Thea. Bad UV's? I've had MeshLab for a week, I'll get the instructions out and have a look. (Talk about a massive ramp up of the learning curve. A challenge - I like that. It's like the accurate Space Shuttle sims. "Here's the front view, and here's 20 keys that bring up 20 control panels for it. You've got 8 other views around the shuttle." kind of complex.)
The sclera was abrupt too - I may have had to have tweaked the alpha blending thinking about it. Hm...

Anyway - I had two-layer eye models, but brekkie was approaching fast - the microwave was soon to ding!

What to do..... I needed to get it rendering to see what it looked like. Ahha! Emissive! The cure all for all things texture related.

Hence the glowy red eyes.
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:44 am

Well for rendering its not the best solution. Especially if you use emitting and dont set it to passive. You adding a lot of extra calculations as i need to calculate all the lighting from the mesh, per face of those 2 eyes. Thats a lot! Better render it in simple mat if your testing the skin.
SarahC

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm

I understand, thank you.
I remember the tutorial about the emissive object detail now.
There was a simple super-low lightbulb screenshot, that explain the "real" high detail emissive is set to passive, so the object with a few facets wasn't creating too much work.

I imagine an invisible but enabled cube would be the best invisible emitter to act as an omni-light, but which rotates along with the models it's placed with? I wasn't able to rotate a car and a Thea point light inside the drivers area at the same time, but a cube grouped with the car model worked well.