notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:47 pm

leminilab wrote:Hi Arnaud, :wave:

I don't see any Ram info... :think:
GPU ram usage is displayed when you use GPU rendering.
CrisM
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:31 pm

thanks for the new version.

I was hoping that the new features will get me back in to Thea, specially the GPU support, but unfortunately Thea Presto is not fast with my GTX 650 Ti.

Is about the same speed in darkroom as unbiased TR1 (running in a i7 with 4 cores-8 threads) and if it has glass is slower.

In the viewport in interactive mode all the CPU modes (progressive, unbiased and adaptive) are faster than the interactive GPU side with Presto GPU (MC).

In any case is good to have a new version of Thea Stand alone after such a long time with out any update (it was years..., right...., was it????)

Cheers
CADharsis
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 pm

field mapping is making me feel happy,.....thank you!
ZW3D 2017/ Cinema 4D R18 Studio / Thea / Colimo
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Seems like it's not a Ram-related issue. But now I have a driver crash... :?

By the way, how come I can't attach images to my posts?
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm

leminilab wrote:Seems like it's not a Ram-related issue. But now I have a driver crash... :?
Have you installed latest geforce drivers (v.320.18 - WHQL) from http://www.geforce.com/drivers (no beta) with custom > clean install -option?
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

CrisM wrote:thanks for the new version.

I was hoping that the new features will get me back in to Thea, specially the GPU support, but unfortunately Thea Presto is not fast with my GTX 650 Ti.

Is about the same speed in darkroom as unbiased TR1 (running in a i7 with 4 cores-8 threads) and if it has glass is slower.

In the viewport in interactive mode all the CPU modes (progressive, unbiased and adaptive) are faster than the interactive GPU side with Presto GPU (MC).

In any case is good to have a new version of Thea Stand alone after such a long time with out any update (it was years..., right...., was it????)

Cheers
Hi CrisM

unbiased GPU rendering is not always faster then CPU rendering .... its a known fact that for interior scenes with artificial lights or just sun/sky illumination, CPU rendering is equal or even faster then GPU rendering ! this is because of the superior algorithms we can us on the CPU which are not possible on the GPU. You can try any of the existing GPU solutions and you will see the same result (or even worse). there are some GPU renders that even using 2 or 4 GPUs for interior rendering, are not faster then Thea TR1/TR2 CPU engine.

GPU rendering shines with HDRI illumination and scenes where we have uniform light contribution ... for example studio shots or exterior scenes.

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm

notareal wrote:
leminilab wrote:Seems like it's not a Ram-related issue. But now I have a driver crash... :?
Have you installed latest geforce drivers (v.320.18 - WHQL) from http://www.geforce.com/drivers (no beta) with custom > clean install -option?
Hi Notareal! My driver's version is 320.18.

I will try to re-install everything though (I think I didn't update all the drivers when I lat updated. Since I don't know what Physx is, I just didnt install the latest version... Maybe not a good idea... I still don't have a clue... :? ).
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:41 pm

By the way, I'm not sure this conversation about my personal case really has its place into this more general post :?
Maybe a mod can move it to a more appropriate location... Sorry about that. :oops:
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:43 pm

@ leminilab ..
nearly 4 million polys and god knows how many lights! that's just cruel :lol:

Joking aside, the GPU is doing other things as well, If I have Thea and SU open I'm running at 24% memory usage on a 1gb card just running the opengl views :wtf: Aero themes use a far bit, if a system hits 85%+ ram usage it'll start running like a dog from my understanding GPU's start struggling earlier.
Honestly I think you were running out of memory and the card has freaked out, its a cr*p universal warning code 3 covers virtually every fault our card kicks out but answers none of them :roll:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
CrisM
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 am

patricks wrote:
CrisM wrote:thanks for the new version.

Cheers
Hi CrisM

unbiased GPU rendering is not always faster then CPU rendering .... its a known fact that for interior scenes with artificial lights or just sun/sky illumination, CPU rendering is equal or even faster then GPU rendering ! this is because of the superior algorithms we can us on the CPU which are not possible on the GPU. You can try any of the existing GPU solutions and you will see the same result (or even worse). there are some GPU renders that even using 2 or 4 GPUs for interior rendering, are not faster then Thea TR1/TR2 CPU engine.

GPU rendering shines with HDRI illumination and scenes where we have uniform light contribution ... for example studio shots or exterior scenes.

Greetings Patrick
Thanks Patrick. Actually most of the test that i did were exterior and with HDRI lighting. And with enough video ram to support the tests...

Maybe is some kind of incompatibility with nvidia kepler video cards?