Thea Edition v1.2

Our news about Thea Render.
Javadevil
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:57 am

CrisM wrote:
Thanks Patrick. Actually most of the test that i did were exterior and with HDRI lighting. And with enough video ram to support the tests...

Maybe is some kind of incompatibility with nvidia kepler video cards?
Thea GPU should work fine with kepler architecture.

Also the GTX 650 only has 768 cuda cores compared to the top end Titan which has 2688 cuda cores. If you want to get serious about GPU rendering you'll need a couple of GPU's. Thats the good thing about GPU's if you have a decent motherboard its easier and cheaper to add GPU's than it is to add CPU's ( whole computers or mutli socket motherboards ).
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 am

Hi guys,
while on the topic, I just ran a quick test to try and find out what reasonable model size I can throw at the Titan and still have a nice IR experience: at the moment I'm at 13mil polys in a 1600x900 IR window and that's sweet ;) 2.8gb of RAM used and nice zooming and panning around. On the darkroom side, for the same settings, I get 2sec/pass. Damn fast if you ask me...
95mil polys killed it, 41mil polys killed it too, I'd say that a 20mil polys scene should still be manageable. More testing on the way...
It looks like there's a bug with some bump textures rotating 90deg, have to investigate.
Can't wait for Presto to support procedurals and instances, that'll be awesome.
I can't seem to be able to get an alpha channel out of Presto, known limitation?

Cheers
Francois
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:56 am

Frankych wrote:Hi guys,
while on the topic, I just ran a quick test to try and find out what reasonable model size I can throw at the Titan and still have a nice IR experience: at the moment I'm at 13mil polys in a 1600x900 IR window and that's sweet ;) 2.8gb of RAM used and nice zooming and panning around. On the darkroom side, for the same settings, I get 2sec/pass. Damn fast if you ask me...
95mil polys killed it, 41mil polys killed it too, I'd say that a 20mil polys scene should still be manageable. More testing on the way...
It looks like there's a bug with some bump textures rotating 90deg, have to investigate.
Can't wait for Presto to support procedurals and instances, that'll be awesome.
I can't seem to be able to get an alpha channel out of Presto, known limitation?

Cheers

Francois

Presto don't support right now additional render channels ... but you can generate the channels very easy by using the new BSD render preset for Quick basic render passes.

we are talking here about seconds to render those passes ;)

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:04 am

Hi Patricks,
I had that one figured out 8-)
But thanks for hinting render channels might be supported in the future...

Cheers
Francois
CrisM
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Javadevil wrote:
CrisM wrote:
Thanks Patrick. Actually most of the test that i did were exterior and with HDRI lighting. And with enough video ram to support the tests...

Maybe is some kind of incompatibility with nvidia kepler video cards?
Thea GPU should work fine with kepler architecture.

Also the GTX 650 only has 768 cuda cores compared to the top end Titan which has 2688 cuda cores. If you want to get serious about GPU rendering you'll need a couple of GPU's. Thats the good thing about GPU's if you have a decent motherboard its easier and cheaper to add GPU's than it is to add CPU's ( whole computers or mutli socket motherboards ).
Thanks Duncan. Yes, i was suspecting that my GTX 650 Ti was not enough to get any kind of use out of Thea Presto in terms of speed :( :( .

I may invest on buying a Titan or two in the future when Thea Presto has more features like instances, SSS, particles and hair rendering. ;)
seanser

Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Just wondering, would it be possible to share a breakdown of the skin settings of the Lee Perry Smith head used in the promo?
Follow me on facebook
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Could someone share the new splashscreen here, its not included in the mac version
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:20 am

We have just updated Thea Render (revision 899), Thea for 3dsMax and Thea for SketchUp.

Please follow this thread for details:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&t=12696

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 am

We have just updated Thea Render (revision 905).

Please follow this thread for details:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&t=12754

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:17 am

Hi Giannis, I think the link above keeps redirecting to the previous update. :think:
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.