Improved Performance for OpenGL Viewport

Check out our technology advances and new features.
SamHowell
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:45 am

ThomasHelzle wrote:What really drives me crazy is the camera settings though ;-)
The endless combinations of current view, selected camera or unselected camera and mounted or not drive me up the walls every time. I'd prefer a highly simplified system that allows me to just set my values for the camera with no other options at all.
And a separate View-Undo like in XSI and other software. ;-)Tom
+1

I've got to admit, this leaves me scratching my head sometimes ( and punching my monitor). I've never really understood the point of mounting cameras etc. Just select the camera and go, it's what everyone else does.

Otherwise, I can't wait for the new release. Keep it coming you busy bees. :thumbup:
dale
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:23 pm

Oh BaseCamp news :twisted:
What a great software, with the best developers and community.
What a waste of thumbs that are opposable, to make machines that are disposable
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:11 pm

ThomasHelzle wrote: What really drives me crazy is the camera settings though ;-)
The endless combinations of current view, selected camera or unselected camera and mounted or not drive me up the walls every time. I'd prefer a highly simplified system that allows me to just set my values for the camera with no other options at all.
This is indeed under examination and we are in the process of simplification.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 pm

dale wrote:Oh BaseCamp news :twisted:
What a great software, with the best developers and community.
:oops: 8-) :clap:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:33 pm

giannis wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: What really drives me crazy is the camera settings though ;-)
This is indeed under examination and we are in the process of simplification.

Best wishes
Fantastic News!!!
Bob James
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:27 pm

SamHowell wrote:I've got to admit, this leaves me scratching my head sometimes ( and punching my monitor). I've never really understood the point of mounting cameras etc. Just select the camera and go, it's what everyone else does.
I may be not understanding, but if you didn't have the option of mounting a camera to change its view wouldn't you move its view every time you zoomed in or changed what you're interested in looking at for a moment?
i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, GTX 1080ti 11GB, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 1TB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x Dell 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro
Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience nor overestimate your own - Bob James
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Well, in every other software I ever used you have "Cameras" and a "Perspective View" or "User View" or something like that. The Cameras are used for rendering so you only change them to create the views you want to render. With the perspective view you work and move around while creating your scene.
I understand what Thea Studio is trying to do with it's system, allowing for failsafe navigation without loosing your render views, but I personally find, while it works in that regard, setting up camera options by that became much too complicated. I can't count how often I set options for a camera just to find out that I used the wrong tab - the "current" vs. the " camera" tab, mounted vs. not. I hardly ever know which one is "active" and what it is influencing ATM.

I personally - when changing something numerically - ALWAYS want to change the camera, not some detached current view or something.

Sorry for the rant, but while I really appreciate what the system tries to do, I think it somehow made a lot of other things too complicated on the way ;-)

Cheers and thanks!

Tom
PINOY
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:35 pm

improve performance is always good!Can't wait for the big day :D
nigec: Thanks for the tip
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm

ThomasHelzle wrote:but I personally find, while it works in that regard, setting up camera options by that became much too complicated. I can't count how often I set options for a camera just to find out that I used the wrong tab - the "current" vs. the " camera" tab, mounted vs. not. I hardly ever know which one is "active" and what it is influencing ATM.
Indeed, quite confusing! Most probably, the current view tab will be thrown away.

Best wishes
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:50 pm

:thumbup:

Thank you so much Ioannis for all your work!

Cheers,

Tom