Head Up Display for OpenGL Viewport

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Dear friends,

since we were working on the OpenGL viewport stuff, we thought to improve selection workflow with heavily grouped scenes. Here is a small advancement on this topic; we implemented a head up display for selection which helps a lot working with nested groups. The user can navigate into the group selection tree, without the need to look at or search in the scene Tree View panel. The information is there, inside the viewport, where the action takes place. Quick information is also displayed about special properties of the model and material assigned (for example, if the model is animated or if there is a displacement applied).

The goal of the head up display is to accelerate the staging operations and find information more easily about the scene models. In the future, we will probably add more information and functionality in this feature. As you can see, there is also a camera adjustment control, used to change specific current view properties.

Best wishes

PS. Since we are on this topic, the problems related to changing the current view properties have been resolved now. :)
Attachments
hud.jpg
Head up display showing the hierarchy in the selected group.
hud.jpg (532.67 KiB) Viewed 15079 times
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Rombout

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Wow looking great, so these option can than be toggled on and off. Smaller display run the risk of getting their screen full with info popups
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 pm

this will make large scene navigation so much easier :thumbup:

thanks!
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Another great enhancement. My only concern is the screen estate that all these popups will take. Why not some kind of docking/tabbed interface to make them easy to minimize?
seraleklee1
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:36 pm

I love thearender :D :thumbup:
i9 7920X - Zotac 1070 TI - 32 gb ram
jenujacob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Pixero wrote:Another great enhancement. My only concern is the screen estate that all these popups will take. Why not some kind of docking/tabbed interface to make them easy to minimize?
with a dual monitor setup, this wouldn't matter, right??
Win10 x64 | Intel i7-3930K| GeForce GTX 680 4gb DDR | GeForce 630GT| 32Gb Ram
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 am

jenujacob wrote:
Pixero wrote:Another great enhancement. My only concern is the screen estate that all these popups will take. Why not some kind of docking/tabbed interface to make them easy to minimize?
with a dual monitor setup, this wouldn't matter, right??
It depends on what you have on the second monitor ;) Anyway, It's nice enhancement but I'm curious to see how it effectively works, because all those popups seems invasive, but surely Giannis put them all in the screen for the post.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:50 am

Panga wrote:Anyway, It's nice enhancement but I'm curious to see how it effectively works, because all those popups seems invasive, but surely Giannis put them all in the screen for the post.
Basically yes, I put all the currently available popups there as an example. I am sure that this will be appreciated mostly by those working with high resolution monitors. These controls still fit inside a low resolution laptop (eg. 1280x800) and anyway, working nowadays with 1920x1080 monitors is not a privilege as it used to be. Those working with iMac 27'' or with even higher resolution monitors will agree with me that there is certainly a lot of empty space inside thea viewport. :)

As always, the moment you find this distracting, you just click the close button [x] and you get the windows out of the way. We are always trying to make additions that improve things but, worse case, will be neutral.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
gelbuilding
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 am

Bravo giannis,

Great feature, Thanks
Regards
George Hadjistavrou
Thea Ready Material available http://www.gelmaterialhub.com
arkimidz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0