Head Up Display for OpenGL Viewport

Check out our technology advances and new features.
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am

giannis wrote: As always, the moment you find this distracting, you just click the close button [x] and you get the windows out of the way. We are always trying to make additions that improve things but, worse case, will be neutral.
Best wishes
It would be great with a solution like in Photoshop where you have small icons that expand into a panel when clicked.
naudofr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 am

Pixero wrote:
giannis wrote: As always, the moment you find this distracting, you just click the close button [x] and you get the windows out of the way. We are always trying to make additions that improve things but, worse case, will be neutral.
Best wishes
It would be great with a solution like in Photoshop where you have small icons that expand into a panel when clicked.
Bravo Giannis and Thea team for this viewport improvement ! :thumbup:
I agree with Pixero for this kind of Photoshop panels for all the toolbars. It would be even better.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:56 pm

Hm - interesting.

I guess this needs to be used to see if it helps or not.

I'm not much of a fan of heads up displays over a certain basic amount to be honest.
The center screen for me is for the scene - the image - and even the current amount of in-view-toolpalettes I find on the slightly too-much side and would prefer having them in dedicated docked toolpalettes out of the way.

And I'm using a 30" screen ;-)

I can see this for people who hide the left and right panels, but otherwise it looks as if it mostly repeats what's already there? How does this help with selecting nested objects? Is it a context sensitive tool that knows what's under my mouse and shows all groups and objects concerned - similar to how Rhino does it?
If yes, I think I would still prefer it as a right-click menu that goes away after I used it.

Well, I look forward to trying it out for sure, but on first view I'm sceptical :-)

And very good to hear that the current view options have been worked on as well!

Speaking of the viewport: Is there a way in Thea to darken the out-of-camera area?
With the way Thea shows the camera area so much smaller as the screen (can this be user-adjusted or even disabled?), I often find it hard to envision the exact image I will get in camera. In other software you usually can darken this area so you can still see it but it clearly is "outside" the camera view.
Would be a very helpful addition while you're at it. ;-)

Cheers and thanks for the updates!

Tom
Bob James
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Here is a small advancement on this topic; we implemented a head up display for selection which helps a lot working with nested groups.
I assume this feature will become available some time in the future?
i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, GTX 1080ti 11GB, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 1TB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x Dell 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro
Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience nor overestimate your own - Bob James
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:53 am

It is part of our next revision. The plan is to make it available... soon.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell