Field Mapping - A New Approach for Adaptive BSD

Check out our technology advances and new features.
noro
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue May 14, 2013 12:03 pm

Ok, what about scenes fully loaded with ies lights, emitters, and daylight. Is possible to render them with Adaptive BSD right now?
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 am

I moved my post to:

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 91&t=12412

its not really the right place for it :D

Tomasz - EDIT: Discussion about rendering channels moved to the topic above.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
john keates
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 pm

Well, I finally found time to do a render of your test scene in Mental ray and it was even worse than expected! I could spend more time tweaking but I doubt I will get anything other than a horrible splotchy low-resolution mess. It isn't even worth showing you as you can't even make out the objects in the scene!

I also did a test in TR1 and TR2 for reference and, whilst Field Mapping seems very, very good, there were a few differences (mostly some shadows missing). I assume it would be possible to improve the Field Mapping quality further?
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 pm

noro wrote:Ok, what about scenes fully loaded with ies lights, emitters, and daylight. Is possible to render them with Adaptive BSD right now?
short answer ... yes ... and it is probably there where Thea BSD will be superior to other Biased renders ;)

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 pm

john keates wrote:Well, I finally found time to do a render of your test scene in Mental ray and it was even worse than expected! I could spend more time tweaking but I doubt I will get anything other than a horrible splotchy low-resolution mess. It isn't even worth showing you as you can't even make out the objects in the scene!

I also did a test in TR1 and TR2 for reference and, whilst Field Mapping seems very, very good, there were a few differences (mostly some shadows missing). I assume it would be possible to improve the Field Mapping quality further?
it is just a matter of using a higher preset if you want to get as close as possible to unbiased results .... imagine that in Thea the test scene can be rendered in around 1 minute.

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
john keates
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat May 18, 2013 9:54 am

patricks wrote:
it is just a matter of using a higher preset if you want to get as close as possible to unbiased results .... imagine that in Thea the test scene can be rendered in around 1 minute.

Greetings Patrick
Wow! I can't wait to have a play!