Thea Render v1.3 Technology Preview (Teaser Trailer)

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:32 am

rogerpenna wrote: it never mentions the year 2013! :think: :think:
We left a safety switch there, if we don't make it this December to postpone for next one. And so forth!....

Just kidding... :lol:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Lobster
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 am

Funny.....

Looking forward to observing collective hysteria later in the year.

Teaser looks really good, i am going to have to get me one of those new fangled GPU thingies all the cool kids have.

Regards.
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 am

A question.
Will the combined CPU+GPU be limited by the GPU memory size or do you have some smart plan to use computer RAM for bigger more complex scenes?
jan
Has thanked: 0

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:09 am

almost sure that it's limited by GPU size, since you must send the scene to GPU memory in order to render it
Alejandro Suárez

www.motivacg.com
john keates
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I believe that it is possible to arrange it so that not all of the image buffer is held in GPU memory all the time, so that makes it possible to render high resolutions with GPU. Maybe there are other tricks too?
warnotte
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

john keates wrote:I believe that it is possible to arrange it so that not all of the image buffer is held in GPU memory all the time, so that makes it possible to render high resolutions with GPU. Maybe there are other tricks too?
It's not a question of "image buffer" (if you mean the space were all rendered pixel will be stored), but a question regarding the memory that all polygons of the scene require. Everything of the geometry should be in the GPU memory while rendering or there will be infamous bottleneck even if you try to make a try to avoid out of memory when using gpu by using the motherboard ram. (but it's my point of view that should be incorrect).

But in case you want to render big images, you can always tile rendering and the recompose the whole picture after. That's not a problem if it's needed for memory problem or stg.
rogerpenna
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm

jan wrote:almost sure that it's limited by GPU size, since you must send the scene to GPU memory in order to render it
actually, from what I understand, other renderers that do have GPU+CPU do exactly that: use CPU RAM in conjunction with GPU, thus, eliminating several problems that exist with GPU only rendering.

if Thea Render does not follow that path with 1.3, it will do it sometime in the near future.
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:45 pm

rogerpenna wrote:
jan wrote:almost sure that it's limited by GPU size, since you must send the scene to GPU memory in order to render it
actually, from what I understand, other renderers that do have GPU+CPU do exactly that: use CPU RAM in conjunction with GPU, thus, eliminating several problems that exist with GPU only rendering.

if Thea Render does not follow that path with 1.3, it will do it sometime in the near future.
I am not sure if CUDA allows that yet (in a efficient way), or the CUDA version used for GPU engine at the moment. I think that in OpenCL that's already possible, but if I recall right, there will be some latency. Anyhow, one thing is certain, future version will naturally have some improvements. Who knows, we might even have OpenCL renderer in some point (like originally planned) and AMD/so GPUs can be used.
Zacchia
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 pm

What is the great about GPU and CPU?? I know that most pepole know but not me :cry:
Windows 7 64 bit, Thea Render, SketchUp Pro
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:54 am

Zacchia wrote:What is the great about GPU and CPU?? I know that most pepole know but not me :cry:
Using both will utilize fully your computers resources. Usually GPU is a lot faster than CPU in case of PC that is planned for GPU rendering. But naturally there are cases when CPU(s) could give some additional noticeable performance boost, like with engineering workstations with multiple high end CPUs. Any speed up is good I think. 8-)