Camera Z Clipping

Check out our technology advances and new features.
noptix
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:42 pm

giannis wrote:No, there is no possibility to assign something in the cut.
Will a channel be available to modify the cut section easily in post pro?
plot-paris
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:20 pm

another questions springs to mind (at least for SketchUp folks):

Will the Z Clipping only work in Z-direction or will it be possible to define a differently oriented cut-face?

I am asking because this would be the perfect way to implement SketchUp's Section-Tool...
d4m4rk
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am

Nice indeed!

Still, would there be option to determine what object will be cutted and what not. I mean cutting everything upper from floor (walls, slabs, roofs etc), but leaving floor and grass area visible?
naudofr

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:00 am

very useful feature :thumbup:
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 am

plot-paris wrote:another questions springs to mind (at least for SketchUp folks):

Will the Z Clipping only work in Z-direction or will it be possible to define a differently oriented cut-face?

I am asking because this would be the perfect way to implement SketchUp's Section-Tool...
That's a very good question...
Unfortunately this is NOT similar to section cuts...
It only works in the Z-direction...

Real sections cuts is on the "wish list" and is a feature which is pending to be implemented at a later stage (i.e. ver. 1.4)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:05 am

I will speculate a bit, but I believe camera Z clipping is not the same as Z from XYZ model axis but Z as axis perpendicular to camera plane.

So, if that's the case here, Camera Z Clipping will define clipping for any camera viewpoing plane and it will only be possible to create sections from any point of view as long as they are planar sections perpendicular to view line.

I bet the problem in Sketchup will have to be solved on Thea4SU where there must be a way to convert a SU camera to a Thea camera with such Z clipping that creates a section in the same place as the section cut and it will only be possible to create camera Z clipping if the view is perpendicular to the cutting plane.

So I suppose we will not be able to use a SU Section Plane to create axonometric views of the interior. That would be a different feature from camera Z clipping and right now it will only be available by cutting off geometry. i.e. zorro 2 plugin

The excellent news is that any render that will be made with Z clipping will create realistic shadows that result from model's real geometry and not from cutting out parts of it, like it happens in SU or in renders using methods similar to Zorro 2.

Am I right?

Best regards,

JQL
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 am

JQL wrote:The excellent news is that any render that will be made with Z clipping will create realistic shadows that result from model's real geometry and not from cutting out parts of it, like it happens in SU or in renders using methods similar to Zorro 2.

Am I right?
Yes. You are right. As in the sample image interior of the house is in shadow, although visually it is open to the environment.
Vadrus
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Love the frequency that you are adding new features, can't wait to have a play with this.
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Can the Z clipping value be animated?

Cheers
Francois
Rombout
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 pm

If z-clipping is perpendicular to the camera, will it be possible to make a addon to make this happen to any object