Presto GPU+CPU

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Dear friends,

a lot of you have already guessed what our next tech announcement will be and indeed it is about Presto running on both GPU and CPU. This announcement is probably among the most important ones in Thea Render tech achievements. Unifying GPU and CPU under the same (render) framework is not an easy job. With Thea Presto being written from scratch, we had the ambition, right from the beginning, to harvest all the computer power that is available.

For coding Presto on the CPU, we didn't want just a "port" of the code from Nvidia CUDA architecture to x86/CPU architecture. We wanted to squeeze the CPUs to the max and see a real performance comparison between GPUs and CPUs. For this, we decided to adapt Intel's Embree library. What does this mean? with every GPU and CPU core running Presto, it means fast, very fast, rendering. And this fast rendering is coupled with Thea's material/light system. All in all, pure quality in the shortest render times! :)

What is also quite interesting is the performance comparison between GPUs and CPUs. We have modeled four scenes specifically for this purpose and ran the benchmarks on various machines (our own plus beta tester machines). It is very nice to see that CPUs stay up to their task and bring a significant speed boost. The actual relative performance between GPUs and CPUs depends heavily on the system and scene type.
CausticsBenchmarkLiveScreenshot.jpg
Actually, to our knowledge, Thea Presto is a unique engine that makes it possible to compare GPUs and CPUs under the same render framework with performance maxed out for both architectures, in a systematic way*. You are welcome to download the detailed benchmark pdf document attached with this post.

Best wishes

* Disclaimer: the comparison between the GPUs and CPUs is only made within Thea Presto framework and does not imply any kind of general performance superiority of a specific processor/architecture.
Attachments
TheaPrestoGPUCPUBenchmark.pdf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 1651 times
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
tridem
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:40 pm

:o stunning
this sequence of previews really looks like an advent calendar... is almost time to opening gifts :mrgreen:
seraleklee1
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:44 pm

BENCHMARK excellent, from the results I can deduce that my GTX 580 is a very good video card, inferior only to the Titan :thumbup: :wave:
i9 7920X - Zotac 1070 TI - 32 gb ram
jsteacy
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Now I know what Computer I want!!! But I won't hold my breath either! haha

Looking forward to the Holidays with Thea!
gwengosch
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm

can't wait!
Gwenael Gosch
La fabrique à plans
http://www.lafabriqueaplans.fr
Facebook
jenujacob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 pm

droooool!!!!
i know you guys are busy and all.. but any chance to post a video comparison between presto running on GPU only and presto running on GPU+CPU???? its a silly request indeed.. but i like to drool! :)
Win10 x64 | Intel i7-3930K| GeForce GTX 680 4gb DDR | GeForce 630GT| 32Gb Ram
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Better than this, only when we get 1.3 on our hands...

So many questions arise from this announcement that I wouldn't know where to start... :crazy:
so I'll focus only on the benchmark.

I'd say that 2111 s/p in 5min on an image is simply uncanny and I suppose 242 s/p is already a great image. So I would ask this:
- Are the images in the pdf from the fastest system or the slowest?
- Why did you opt to have 5min for every machine and not a s/p limit so we could see how much time it would take to reach a clear image for each scene?

Please understand that this questions only reflect my own somewhat low ability to understand what a certain number of s/p means for any given image... It's something I'm only able to tell when the image is finished. A doubt I often have is if the same number of samples in TR1, TR2, ProgressiveBSD or Presto mean the same "clearness" in images.

Thanks for poking us again and congratulations :clap:

Best regards,

JQL
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I'm the quadro 600 and 3770k and the s/p level set would of took a long time with the instance scene for me

I don't think the top machine did the renders, mine were all clean within the 5 minutes with exeption of the caustics I needed longer

The biggest thing for me personally is how stable it is with such a cr*p GPU
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Rosco
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Looks like we are getting a big hardware update for free!! :clap: :thumbup:

In the .pdf there are 2 different combinations with an GTX 660ti giving different S/P from gpu.
Does this mean that CPU could influence on GPU performance when working together, or would it be due to other reasons (ram, motherboard...)?
Just curious.
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Rosco wrote:Looks like we are getting a big hardware update for free!! :clap: :thumbup:

In the .pdf there are 2 different combinations with an GTX 660ti giving different S/P from gpu.
Does this mean that CPU could influence on GPU performance when working together, or would it be due to other reasons (ram, motherboard...)?
Just curious.
Maybe different GPU clock speeds...