Presto Speed and Interactive Improvements

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Dear friends,

during the last weeks, we were working very hard (and silently) to improve speed of Presto even further. For us, Presto is all about taking advantage of the raw power of all your computer resources and as such, we don't want to waste not even a cycle from your CPU and GPU.

We have made several small improvements from previous release that add up to considerable speed gains:
- Speed improvement for alpha/clip mapping
- Performance tuning for many graphic cards.
- Interactive render improvements for both studio and plugins.
- Presto AO speed and diffuse-bounce improvements.

Overall, we are excited to say once more how much advanced Presto has come to be. And this, at the same time with adding the missing features for it (for example, front and camera mapping will be working for Presto in next release). Any feature that gets added, it is done with a lot of thinking and testing so as not to harm the performance.

We have put a lot of care tuning the engine and I have to say that we truly believe when it comes to true global illumination on the CPU+GPU nothing can be faster than Presto.

As a quick means proving this, let me just show you have many steps forward we have made with Presto in the last months, starting from the (internal) revision 1011 (that was used for the official benchmarking) and now with the (internal) revision 1109. The difference in speed should be really obvious, imagine that already the first version was extremely fast, we just don't have any words to describe how fast Presto is now. :)
comparison.jpg
Comparison showing how much faster current Presto RV1109 has become!
I am also attaching the full spreadsheet, all benchmarks made with Devices set to Low priority.

The path is clear for us, the goal is to get Presto fully featured and this is something that we are working in parallel, behind the scenes, so as our next edition v1.4 finds it with all features supported.

Best wishes
Attachments
TheaPrestoBenchmarkComparison.ods
(83.05 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
stinkie
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Well done, well done indeed. :clap:
19marco23
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:21 pm

I love it!
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Very cool :thumbup:
I don't see any mention yet of Presto supporting other render channels (alpha, ...) Is there a certain reason why Presto is not supporting those at the moment?
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:06 pm

eph wrote:Very cool :thumbup:
I don't see any mention yet of Presto supporting other render channels (alpha, ...) Is there a certain reason why Presto is not supporting those at the moment?
render channels like alpha will be added in a near future for Presto ;)

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:11 pm

patricks wrote:render channels like alpha will be added in a near future for Presto ;)

Greetings Patrick
Near future sounds excellent ;)
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
GreenUser

Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:55 pm

I think the name says it all. Presto :D
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:16 pm

eph wrote:Very cool :thumbup:
The main reason is that it would not worth to spend the memory and speed of GPUs when adding secondary channels to be rendered. So, we were looking for other solutions (which we have found already).

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 pm

The funny thing is that after posting this announcement, there has been an additional boost added for graphic cards with compute capability 2.x/3.0. :)
Spherical
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:29 am

giannis wrote:The main reason is that it would not worth to spend the memory and speed of GPUs when adding secondary channels to be rendered.
So you have to render twice?
Carbon Fiber, Blown Glass & Imagination
Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!