Presto Channel Support and Relight

Check out our technology advances and new features.
PixelMango
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:20 pm

giannis wrote:There are at least 2 issues with Alpha that we have in mind and are going to be "fixed". Also, note that we are working on multi-layer EXR saving, so as to pack all channels in a single image.

One thing that I need to better understand: do we need all channels/passes to use the alpha channel, when saved on disk[/b]?

Best wishes
Thanks for the reply. I was referring to just the standard Alpha Channel. Some of the new "channels" for Presto sound a lot like support for Multi-Layer EXR's. Is this what you are referring to in the tech preview? Or are the light, shadow, reflection passes stored in separate image files (similar to how Unbiased and BSD Adaptive engines store alpha channels in a buffer now, but has to be saved to a file separately) ?

Here is a reference to Multi-Layer EXR output in 3ds Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Sf22jgJbQ[/youtube]
Last edited by PixelMango on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Theodor
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:05 am

giannis wrote: Do we need all channels/passes to use the alpha channel, when saved on disk?
I believe not. I look at it this way. One can always apply alpha mask to serve his needs in post processing, when the alpha mask is already applied its difficult to reconstruct the original image. There is always a danger that alpha mask will crop out some information.
In other words I am comfortable with being in charge of applying alpha masks. What I don't need to be in charge of is, monotonous naming and saving channels one by one.

T.
Rombout

Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:58 am

A multi layer EXR is handy but not a most i believe. As in the video stated photoshop for example cant load a multi layer exr without a pro plugin. Not sure if other image edit applications can though. I believe After Effects and probably NUKE etc can do it out of the box.

Loading a image stack is easy in PS and i think a lot apps can do this, i wouldn't worry to much about a layered EXR file.

What i would find more handy is PSD save option, possibly multi layer ;) As thea can already read PSD files why not able to save PSD files. Than a addon to this is to change the working color profile in Thea, i dont understand why Thea uses ColorRGB as a color profile while it reads sRGB???

I also would like to see a option to save 8, 16 or 32bit files. Im not sure with which thea works thea now. If i select a image in the texture tab it mostly says files are 24bit which is weird cause i always import them as 8bit files???
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:16 am

giannis wrote:we are working on multi-layer EXR saving, so as to pack all channels in a single image.
I agree with Rombout, for single images and wide compatibility multi-layered TIFF or PSD seems like a more universal option..!
giannis wrote:One thing that I need to better understand: do we need all channels/passes to use the alpha channel, when saved on disk?
Not at all! It's easier to have their real output, unaffected by the alpha layer. We'll render and apply the alpha layer when needed, and won't complain ;)
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
allabulle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:34 pm

A full support of exr is a must. And it is the standard. I would be quite disappointed if it wasn't supported and fully implemented.

Other options are more then welcome, of course, but exr is a must.
minddisturb

Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 pm

hi giannis,

such a cool featrure thea's have. one thing in my mind, does thea presto support caustic render? i saw the tech preview for presto and yes it support caustic but i can't find anywhere that talk about presto support for caustic. i tried the software for max and caustic only support for BSD, TR1 and TR2 only no presto. or i missing something here.

thank you
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:39 am

minddisturb wrote:hi giannis,

such a cool featrure thea's have. one thing in my mind, does thea presto support caustic render? i saw the tech preview for presto and yes it support caustic but i can't find anywhere that talk about presto support for caustic. i tried the software for max and caustic only support for BSD, TR1 and TR2 only no presto. or i missing something here.

thank you
Presto supports caustics using mesh lights. try the Presto caustics Benchmark scene.
you can also see some caustics rendered with Presto here:
http://theapresto.com/caustics---dispersion.html

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am

In what regards Multilayer formats, I believe every common format should be available. If you're implementing the system now, why keep it halfway?

MultiLayeredEXR are standard as they are small sized but fully 32bit
Tiff might be multilayered too, but Thea saves them as 8bit only, if it gets 32bits then they're welcome.
PSD are widely used but not the exclusive app for photoediting. It will be interesting for many people so it can only help.

Now that you're at it, I believe it's the rigth time to fully support any of the standard formats. After it's solved, you'd be ready to forget it and tackle other stuff for development.

There are also a couple of image exporting features that should be available along with multiple layers like region render with surrounding alpha export on 32bit and multilayer.
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb