Fresnel Ramp Procedural

Check out our technology advances and new features.
Rombout

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:44 pm

hahah aand ofcourse Sandros kills it... Excellent outcome, that really looks like velvet could you share your setup sandros?
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:55 pm

SandroS wrote: tried but there's definitely no way to upload to this forum section.
Ah, sorry for that, indeed we may have configured this forum to be limited wrt what can be uploaded.

Great images indeed!! :clap: :clap:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:56 pm

Great feature and great images!

I personally think it is wise to open Thea in the direction of "artistic freedom" where it is possible without breaking the physical aspects. There are many areas in CG where customers and graphics artists want to push things a bit into the still believable but also "exciting" looking area.
Usually I use Lightwave 3D for that, since it's node-based renderer allows for many amazing NPR-things.
But one reason why I chose Thea over other unbiased renderers was exactly the less purist approach - some other companies go a bit nutty about it... ;-)
I want to be able to render 100% "correct" in some cases and in others I just want to go bonkers ;-)

I assume this feature could also be used for electron-microscope-like images?

Thanks again for pushing the limits!!!

Cheers,

Tom
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:59 pm

ThomasHelzle wrote: I assume this feature could also be used for electron-microscope-like images?
To be honest, I am not sure at all how these images should look like with the procedural... 8-)
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:04 pm

giannis wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote: I assume this feature could also be used for electron-microscope-like images?
To be honest, I am not sure at all how these images should look like with the procedural... 8-)
Hehee - I guess I can find out soon enough, but here are some pointers:
https://www.google.de/search?client=ope ... Q&tbm=isch

It's a kind of inverted-pseudo-light look.

Cheers,

Tom
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Rombout wrote:hahah aand ofcourse Sandros kills it... Excellent outcome, that really looks like velvet could you share your setup sandros?
np. actually, the material is highly tweakable, even though i only used the fresnel procedural in the diffuse slot. there are a number of (pretty major) things i'm not clear on yet so take these screenshots with a pinch of salt and don't hesitate to use your own way if you find something that works better for you.

i used a texture from CG Textures (just search for Velvet) and tried it in the usual suspects - reflection, roughness and bump slots.

something like this:

patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:05 pm

very nice SandroS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Greetings,
Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:14 pm

patricks wrote:very nice SandroS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Greetings,
Patrick
thanks Patrick. i'm looking forward to seeing your set up too... hint hint :)

like i said above, there's still lots i'm not clear on so anything you can show will be eagerly taken apart ;)
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:31 pm

I doubt very much that you could learn anything from me SandroS :)
with this kind of procedural textures/workflow there is not a "one way" of doing things, its all up to creativity and what looks good is good, you can achieve similar results with different setups, just experiment ;)

your setup is perfectly valid!

Greetings,
Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
Rombout

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Wow you used the basic settings, its that texture which kills it! nice...

What i did noticed was that you need to take into account what kind of bump you use. I used a cloth like bump and the effect of the fresnel wasnt what i expected, when i set the bump much lower the result where much better