Fresnel Ramp Procedural

Check out our technology advances and new features.
Lobster
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Well this is very good news.

I think its a great addition.
Io_annis
Has thanked: 0

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks for this interesting feature. I was wondering if the scattering on velvet due to tiny fibres could be simulated in the Fresnel Ramp, too? Or will something like a micro displacement will do the job?
Just do it!
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:37 am

Io_annis wrote:I was wondering if the scattering on velvet due to tiny fibres could be simulated in the Fresnel Ramp, too? Or will something like a micro displacement will do the job?
If the fibers are really tiny, then it is complete overkill to go with displacement. In this case, dealing with this on a macroscopic level (i.e. proper reflectance, textures, bump, etc.) is by far the best without loss in quality. Now, if you want to actually be able to see the fibers, then you start with bump and for more realism you can even go with displacement.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:09 am

Io_annis wrote:Or will something like a micro displacement will do the job?
Unless you need a render, where you get a really close-up, I don't see the need of using micro displacement to make a nice looking velvet or alcantara material...
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
Io_annis
Has thanked: 0

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:05 am

Thanks for your reply guys, my concern is to be able to simulate the fuzziness and randomness of a micro-hairy surface. Hopefully I could free myself from bump in the future and find the real thing in geometry, maybe by scripting a grass definition in Rhino Grasshopper. ZBrush has solved this by nano mesh or noise and Maya with Paint Effects respectively. BTW, Is hair and fur on your future agenda? Best, Ioannis
Just do it!
Rombout

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:22 pm

Have you seen Sandros renders at page 2 of this thread? look really great with the usage of a roughness- & bump map
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Io_annis wrote:Hopefully I could free myself from bump in the future and find the real thing in geometry...
Why...?? :eh:
If the purpose is to make a render look real and you can do that by using a bump map, then I don't understand why you need real geometry... :think:
Io_annis wrote:ZBrush has solved this by nano mesh or noise and Maya with Paint Effects respectively.
I admit that I don't know how they achieve this, but as I see it, they will still require a map - similar to a bump map to be able to do it, hence it's not real geometry but something that simulate it and make it appear real...
Io_annis wrote:BTW, Is hair and fur on your future agenda?
It sure is... Even particles...
But there's nothing about when this will get implemented...
Might be in half a year or it might be in two years time...

I'm starting to be curious... What kind of renders are you making...?
Can you post some examples...?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X