Improved Shadow Catcher

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

Yes, finally!! I 've been hearing those "voices" in my head, since almost day 1 of the previous shadow catcher implementation... :mrgreen:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:59 am

giannis wrote:Yes, finally!! I 've been hearing those "voices" in my head, since almost day 1 of the previous shadow catcher implementation... :mrgreen:
Hehehe - always good to listen to those voices! :D
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Sorry about those voices... I remember bragging a bit about some of these features back then but it was never my first intention to drive you insane! :twisted:
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Io_annis

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Great, I am curious to test it. BTW, is there any possibility to scale the IBL Dome in order to receive sharp or blurry shadows?
Just do it!
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Io_annis wrote:BTW, is there any possibility to scale the IBL Dome in order to receive sharp or blurry shadows?
The immediate answer is NO, but can you please elaborate on this... :think:

Is this based on your own assumptions or can you point to another application is capable of this...?
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
Io_annis

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Frederik, Keyshot is using this, although I haven't deciphered the functionality to the fullest extend there. My post was rather a focus on the blurry / sharp IBL shadows option if available in Thea. Additionally I haven't figured out in Thea how the HDRI is applied depending on the scale. Imagine if you visualize a bottle on a table or a car on the whole then you probably need to be flexible to edit how big / crisp and adaptable the IBL shadows could be in order to meet you scalar demands. A small lightsome would generate faulty or missing shadows on a let's say large truck or so. Maybe an automatism could solve this issue? Anyway the HDRI issue is pretty confusing as it is dependent from the device capturing the HDRI. Any HDRI would work good for automotive but if you want to apply one on a large train then you probably need to open the trick box. Sorry if I match together different issues...
Just do it!
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:53 pm

there's nothing stopping you creating your own dome and using a hdri as an emitter, if you turn shadows off you can use sunlight as well
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Well, IBL is a major fake by definition. :-)
You can't really represent the "real world" with a flat texture on a sphere.
But if you use HDRIs of spaces that halfways match your scene (kitchen interior or studio for the bottle, outdoor for the train) it usually works astonishingly good, since lightsources are of "correct" size for the given situation.

Cheers,

Tom
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Io_annis wrote:BTW, is there any possibility to scale the IBL Dome in order to receive sharp or blurry shadows?
The IBL is considered to be at infinity, so no scaling possibility. You are right having this opens a range of new possibilities.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell