Presto OpenCL Port (Done! Looking for beta testers!)

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:37 am

notareal wrote:
Rombout wrote:I know my mac supports OpenCL but it has a Intel Iris Pro, this means still no GPU right?
Look on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823 for OpenCL and mac. As Intel Iris Pro supports OpenCL, at-least in theory Thea OpenCL port may work (unless there is GPU check).
That's right! But "in theory". The problem is that, even with the new redesign, Presto OpenCL is still quite resource hungry. We will be working to see whether HD/Iris will be supported as well.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
allabulle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:42 am

giannis wrote:
Mohammad Nael wrote: AMD and Nivida if installed on the same rig will make a conflict for rendering softwares, all Nvidia cards will be rejected IMHO
Talking about Thea, all the cards can coexist and contribute. On my system for example, Presto runs on the Titan through CUDA, Radeon through OpenCL and of course on the CPU through "normally" compiled C/C++ code. All simultaneously contributing.

Greetings
This is fantastic, then! Congratulations!
Anthony
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:59 am

As far as Thea Render is concerned, we can use both AMD and NVIDIA without conflict as I have been working with the beta build without any problems. And to be clear, my motherboard is a mid-range gamer motherboard from Gigabyte model 970A-DS3P. I have had no issues running on Windows 7, 8. Even other software that utilize CUDA or OpenCL make sure to list devices in the appropriate manner.

Your assumption Mohammad is very much incorrect I'm happy to say.
“ No man ever made a great discovery without the exercise of the imagination. ”
— George Henry Lewes
grzybu

Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:35 am

giannis wrote:
notareal wrote:
Rombout wrote:I know my mac supports OpenCL but it has a Intel Iris Pro, this means still no GPU right?
Look on https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823 for OpenCL and mac. As Intel Iris Pro supports OpenCL, at-least in theory Thea OpenCL port may work (unless there is GPU check).
That's right! But "in theory". The problem is that, even with the new redesign, Presto OpenCL is still quite resource hungry. We will be working to see whether HD/Iris will be supported as well.

Best wishes
If Thea will support Iris it will be great, but it will probably boil my macbook in seconds ;)
Anyway it could be useful to have option to use GPU even if it's limited to small scenes.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:31 am

grzybu wrote: If Thea will support Iris it will be great, but it will probably boil my macbook in seconds
That's always a concern.

Actually, the experience we have is that brand laptops from well known manufacturers have no issues. It is usually the systems without a label that have problems; if you are buying/creating such systems from parts and want to use them as render machines, the advice is: buy good cooling (water cooling if possible), good case (for ventilation) and sufficient power supply. As soon as someone gets a high end CPU/GPU but puts that in a system the problems start: it can be dangerous up to the point of burning the device (due to bad ventilation) or driver crashes / black renders (due to insufficient power supply).

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Mohammad Nael

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Anthony wrote:.
Your assumption Mohammad is very much incorrect I'm happy to say.
Not to that much because on 1.3 i remember it was not working and even i tried lot of GPU based engines and a lot of conflicts took place, even GTX could not be recognized and a lot more. i believe you are doing something very distinctive.
Go forward :clap: :clap: :clap:
grzybu

Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

giannis wrote:
grzybu wrote: If Thea will support Iris it will be great, but it will probably boil my macbook in seconds
That's always a concern.

Actually, the experience we have is that brand laptops from well known manufacturers have no issues. It is usually the systems without a label that have problems; if you are buying/creating such systems from parts and want to use them as render machines, the advice is: buy good cooling (water cooling if possible), good case (for ventilation) and sufficient power supply. As soon as someone gets a high end CPU/GPU but puts that in a system the problems start: it can be dangerous up to the point of burning the device (due to bad ventilation) or driver crashes / black renders (due to insufficient power supply).

Best wishes
I was referring to macbook pro. It's quiet if you keep low cpu load, but when you start something that uses both cpu and gpu (modern game) it's is getting pretty hot and loud quite fast.
But it's to be expected as it's quite dense inside. Aluminium case probably helps a bit, but makes it feel hot ;)
So if you be able to make Thea run on Iris then it will be great, if not nothing bad happens I guess.
cekuhnen

Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:32 pm

Great - looking forward to see how it works compared to CUDA.
Rombout

Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

grzybu wrote:I was referring to macbook pro. It's quiet if you keep low cpu load, but when you start something that uses both cpu and gpu (modern game) it's is getting pretty hot and loud quite fast.
But it's to be expected as it's quite dense inside. Aluminium case probably helps a bit, but makes it feel hot ;)
So if you be able to make Thea run on Iris then it will be great, if not nothing bad happens I guess.
I know when i start a render i hear the fans screaming ;) well you hear them boosting up to 5000-6000rpm. The top near the screen connection feels hot but when i check instatPro for temperatures they never have passed 60deg. Ive noticed when i start a render in thea4su the fans speed fluctuates, there not constantly at the high rate. I let it render yesterday for about 30 min and it would go high to low couple times. I do raise the laptop so than bottom is not in contact with any surface, just to be sure
Moog
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:01 am

Super excited for this update to Presto. Dropped you guys an email. :D