Repainting as Post Process (Thea Render + Colimo)

Check out our technology advances and new features.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:24 am

Note: this tech preview makes use of an external commercial application (Colimo) - see bottom for more details.

Dear friends,

I am sure that some of you have already guessed that the "repaint" check was there for a forthcoming feature. Our next version (v1.1), will include the necessary mechanism for Thea to co-operate with Colimo (a commercial application by Motiva, find out more at the related web page).

In more detail, with next version, it will be possible to select which materials you would like to edit in post process. Additional channels will be calculated for these materials that will allow changing the color and texture of them, after the render finishes, creating infinite variations! The editing takes place in Motiva's Colimo application which, by utilizing the GPU, performs the changes in realtime.

Thea calculates all the extra channels for the repaintable materials during one and single render, with small time penalty (compared to making a single render). This means that you can create many variations of your render, practically without more time spent on rendering! In addition, the exporting and launching of Colimo is completely automated.

Here, you can see a "demonstration" of the new feature. All these images have been created by a single render of Thea! The scene was quite difficult (lots of different sources of lighting) and it took ~12h on a Q6600 (originally rendered at 2048p). This time is fully amortized considering that there were, in this example, 375 combinatorial renders generated in post-process. Using the web export feature of Colimo, all the combinations can be generated based on a predefined list of choices per repaintable material (you can select the material in the first choice box and its texture in the second choice box).
http://www.thearender.com/resources/Col ... eview.html

We believe that this will be a very cool feature and a very "convincing tool" when making design changes. ;)

best wishes

We list here some important aspects regarding Thea Render + Colimo integration, that might provide better understanding of the new feature.
  • The extra channels needed are computed during a single render; that is, select your repaintable materials, check the repaint option and hit render. At the end of the render, the whole project can be saved and Colimo launched automatically. Memory restrictions may apply depending on the number of repaintable materials and resolution.
  • The calculation of necessary channels is being accomplished by the unbiased modes TR1 and TR2. We decided to integrate the calculations on the modes that give the highest render quality.
  • The repaintable materials must at least have one diffuse property. SSS materials cannot be "repainted". Quality of the post process editing and composition is high although small differences may exist compared to re-rendering from scratch with the altered materials.
  • Colimo is currently a Windows-only application. Although it uses the GPU, its requirements are not particularly high in that aspect (a DirectX9 compatible graphics card); it will still perform interactively with low end cards, although the more card memory the better (handling more repaintable materials). Saving the image or using the web export feature may take somewhat longer than realtime due to supersampling considerations.
  • Colimo is a commercial application being developed and sold by Motiva Infografia, that is the same guys (Victor and Jan) that are also making the 3dsMax plugin (needless to say how closely we are working with).
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Javadevil
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 am

Guys this is very exciting stuff, the work the Thea team and Motiva have done on this is going to be a game changer !!

Great work
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:56 am

Nice addition !! I was waiting this annoucement before buying colimo...I think it's more than time ! Thanks for this really great feature.
gargon
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 am

Great job. :clap:
I'm looking forward to getting the next version of Thea, to test all the new features.
19marco23
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am

I like ittttt! Great work!
victor

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 am

Panga wrote:Nice addition !! I was waiting this annoucement before buying colimo...I think it's more than time ! Thanks for this really great feature.
Existing Thea customers should wait a little bit :roll:
https://www.motivacg.com
· CGArt & Technology ·
dbalex
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:46 am

Nice, it's finally announced! It's a great feature for thea and I hope a lot more costumers for Colimo, nice work!
naudofr

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

Semi surprise because you gave us enough clues to guess it; although very happy to see the release of this new great feature. Thanks ! Thea is big ! :D
GreenUser

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:30 am

That scene really looks good. Who made it?
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 am

Many thanks for the warm feedback. :)
GreenUser wrote:That scene really looks good. Who made it?
I believe Victor himself.

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell