Altair Inspire Render beta 2 opened to the public

Everything related to Altair Inspire Render beta

Moderator: claudio

claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:51 am

Hi Everybody!

We are proud to announce the availability of the beta version of Altair Inspire Render, which is the new product that is going to replace the old Thea Studio 1.5
This new version is completely rewritten from the ground up to merge with the rest of Altair Inspire line of products, while keeping the same functionalities and adding more.
In this first version we worked long and hard to lay down the foundation for the new generation of rendering (and modeling) products (I don't want to spoil anything, but we are actively working on a node editor for example and an OpenGL real-time renderer... and more!)

Some of the new features in this upcoming release, that are already in the beta are:
  • Denoisers
  • Real-time OpenGL (experimental)
  • Switch between material types (basic, metal, glass, etc.) maintaining the properties
  • Editing of polygonal geometry
  • Additional imported formats, including NURBS geometry
  • Basic geometry editing, including NURBS tessellation and Subdivision Surfaces
  • Support for quads polygonal geometry
  • On-screen interactive texture positioning
  • New scene tree structure with layers
  • Specific support for labels
  • Support for huge scenes
This new version sports a completely revamped UI which differs A LOT from the old Thea Studio. Those of you used to the old UI may find some difficulties adapting, but we are confident that with time you will find yourself at home.
Of course we are always open to critics, suggestions, feedback.

Together with Altair Inspire Render we're also giving access to the beta of Altair Inspire Studio which is the flagship modeling product of the Inspire line.

To download the package go the landing page: https://web.altair.com/inspire-studio-beta
  • On this page you can also watch introductory videos, we highly recommend to do that as they contain important information to be up and running with the UI.
  • Type in your data and click the big button SUBMIT.
  • You will then be able to download either one or both packages.
  • Both packages already include a time-limited license.
  • New betas will be made available every week, with an updated license.
A download manager is recommended in case the download speed is not what you expect from your internet connection, one free alternative is https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Hope you guys enjoy the new beta and we look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
-Claudio
These users thanked the author claudio for the post (total 3):
christina (Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 am) • panagiotis (Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 am) • manalcibar (Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:20 pm)
Rating: 12%
antares333
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:11 am

That's a good news

Hope it won't take too much time to adapt ;-)
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am

There's an old saying...
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"
But I'm going to ask anyway.. how much is it likely to be?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Most Recent Batch Creator
gelbuilding
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:06 am

Yes, that's a very good question!

The wait is over
Regards
George Hadjistavrou
Thea Ready Material available http://www.gelmaterialhub.com
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am

nigec wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am
There's an old saying...
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"
But I'm going to ask anyway.. how much is it likely to be?
You mean the price?
....That's something we will disclose after the beta, when we'll release the product.... :)

Thanks,
-Claudio
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Yes price and answered like a true politician! (an answer without the answer) ;)

First impressions
1 No Global Medium? Presto/TR
2 BSD/Raytrace rendering a few things here:
lack of progress reporting as BSD does the pre calculations
Presets would be nice, the default looks really bad
Ambient Occlusion you can't set the "Distance" manually and it doesn't stay at the value set, I set the value at 100cm, when I re checked it was 500cm.. actually I don't think it works?
3 example scenes really could do with a default camera view, at the moment I'm finding navigation tricky
4 No Console; this is really helpful
5 License nagging dialog when we can't do anything to rectify it

edit:
The download file size is very big, I already have content I've chosen for Sketchup, why not link to the original Thea data like Sketchup does. I personally have to manage my harddrive as I'm running out of space, I don't need material libaries twice ;)
Back to Raytracer:
AO you can't set Distance values below 100cm
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Most Recent Batch Creator
antares333
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Well nigec,
i totaly agree with you for those first impressions

- No possibility to subdivide a group (walls for exemple) coming from archicad (obj)
- Instancing doesn't create boxes, so model polygons explode, and is not very intuite compared to 1.5 (maybe not finished yet???) - So darkroom doesn't start
- Creating cameras angles
- Impossibility to enter inside the buildings (something is blocking) so for interior shots :wave:
- Camera in perspective that loses the model
- In general in find this version really less intuitive

Still got work on it

Cheers
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi Nigec and Anteres,
thank you for your quick report.

The download is big, yes, we wanted everybody to be able to have the same installation, no matter what they already have or not and without having to download additional data.
Also, the materials are not the same as in SketchUp.
Ambient Occlusion you can't set the "Distance" manually and it doesn't stay at the value set, I set the value at 100cm, when I re checked it was 500cm.. actually I don't think it works?
That's a bug, thank you for reporting :thumbup:
example scenes really could do with a default camera view, at the moment I'm finding navigation tricky
You can import any existing .scn.thea file.
No possibility to subdivide a group (walls for exemple) coming from archicad (obj)
Have you tried the "Surface Extract/Combine" tool?<--- NO this works for NURBS surfaces only
We should make a dedicated tool for that.
Instancing doesn't create boxes, so model polygons explode, and is not very intuite compared to 1.5
There shouldn't be a problem handling scenes with tens of millions of triangles.
What difficulties did you have with the instance tool?
It allows for single instance placement or "Paint mode" where you just drag the mouse and instances are placed following the parameters specified.
There is a section in the online help describing the tool in great details.
You can invoke the help by pressing F1.
Here is the direct link to the tool help: https://solidthinking.com/helpst/2019.3 ... ance_t.htm
Creating cameras angles
You can create as many cameras as you need.
Click on the icon in the bottom left named "Camera list" and click on the "double camera" icon. That will create a new camera from the current camera. See below
CreateNewCamera.jpg
CreateNewCamera.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
Impossibility to enter inside the buildings (something is blocking) so for interior shots
Uhm....yes I understand what you mean..... we have to look into it....
Camera in perspective that loses the model
Don't get what you mean, can you elaborate more?

Thanks,
-Claudio
Rombout
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 pm

You can invoke the help by pressing F1.
Here is the direct link to the tool help: https://solidthinking.com/helpst/2019.3 ... ance_t.htm
Sorry biut your link returns an error for us

This is what i see visiting that link
Please use corect access link format to access html file in help including valid passcode
Ive said it before and will try it again, there should be a standalone version. I guess no one from the current users will get this software, because im 100% sure the price is / will be a couple K $.

I hope this beta is better than what i tried. I found studio v1.5 better than that weird ported like application on OSX.

EDIT
looking at the screenshots its hasnt changed, thats really a shame. This application is to much focussed on modeling if you ask me. I feels like a modeling application which happened to can render as well. Sorry guys i jsut dont like this one, the UI is to tedious and to much clicking. Its the opposite of what feeling i still have what Studio v1.5

Looking at that product page it already shows more about modeling than rendering. This is not something for current Thea Studio users. Hope Altair will change its thinking and add a standalone version. Your not getting ArchViz people with this app i think.

It feels to much like a renderer for single objects or products, seem to be more intended for who they make there modeling apps for. Nurbs, nurbs, nurbs modelers :(

Are there videos from doing complete scene?

As Nigec suggest or highlighted, adding the libs and mats is weird for existing users. Simply make a light version and a regular version. Also not sure why your servers havent been updated from last time. Last time i did a beta, quite some people said something about the very slow download.
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi Claudio,
thank you for releasing the public beta of Altair Inspire Render.
I'm not going to rant or be rude as you guys obviously put a lot of work in the product, but as it stands now, I'm not going to abandon Thea Studio 1.5 any time soon.
Which is a real shame since I was hoping to be flabbergasted by a new software built on the strenghts and intuitiveness of Thea.
Two simple backward steps spring to my mind as I write, no heliodon, and no proper settings for the camera such as aperture and shutter speed.
I'll try and write a comprehensive list of remarks/questions as soon as I have a chance.
Cheers
François