Thea Render is Rentware now??

Smalltalk and interesting stuff about everything else.
Mistro
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:42 pm

I just got an email with new licensing info which states:

- The Thea Render Plugin licenses will now be available as web-hosted, annual lease “floating” licenses. Users can also use these licenses in an offline mode.

- With the new license portal capability, you can rapidly process and manage your licenses, in a self-service fashion within minutes.

- We will offer 1-year and 3-year annual lease license options for each of our three (3) plugin’s

- Effective October 7th, 2019, there will be no maintenance or paid-up (perpetual) options going forward.

- The Student Edition licenses of the plugin’s will be made available soon thereafter.

It's not made clear about the versions we been using all these years. Please tell me my 1.5 copy of Thea4Sketchup will not be affected if I have to reinstall. I worked hard to save up for my licenses and I have no interest in rent-ware.
i7-8700k @3.7GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA NVidia GTX 980Ti 6Gb, 1T M.2 SSD, Windows 10 64bit

Structural Integrity is Not Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose
holmes1977
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:01 pm

:cry: Well thats it, the last of all the software I use in a professional basis now rent-ware.

Under this rent-ware system, the software I use tend to come out with less features. Yet you pay a ton load more in the long run.
These users thanked the author holmes1977 for the post:
Rombout (Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:11 am)
Rating: 4%
DonPedro
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:54 pm

Yup. I've been looking forward to 2.0 standalone, but this is a no-go for me. Just like when I dropped Adobe Lightroom when that went to subscription only, I will have to look for a new rendering suite here as well. It's a shame, as the usability here really is great.
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 pm

Pretty sad state of affairs, I'll hold onto version 1,5 until it no longer supported with my version of Sketchup. Been a fun ride.
These users thanked the author Solo for the post:
pedrinalex (Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:30 pm)
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:46 am

Considering how Blender is free, how vray and Corona are already so deeply implemented in the market, how there are a lot of other competing products and how offline rendering is loosing space to real-time fast, and will be even more so with the new real-time GI features, I really wonder why the move to subscription.

If the old user base is jumping off train soon after releasing v2, then I surely hope v3 features and it's marketing, can go get users from other software.

A yearly release with capable new features as a paid release, could be all you need. New features that justify paying for old users, often lead into they actually paying and new users coming aboard.

Subscription is, for us, just a means of forcing people to pay even if features don't justify.

I'm worried too.
These users thanked the author JQL for the post:
Hieru (Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:38 pm)
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
leminilab
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:45 am

Solo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:09 pm
Pretty sad state of affairs, I'll hold onto version 1,5 until it no longer supported with my version of Sketchup. Been a fun ride.
Hi Solo!

I thought of you these last days wondering what your point of view on this was: now I know... :cry:

Thea has been wonderful and set itself apart from competition because of the greatness of the software and the developer's passionate investment.

On the same line, it's community and the close relationship between developers and customers also set it apart (I've always thought of the A-Team more as colleagues or maybe even friends sometimes than just business partners. The last sentence of the announcement email sounds like a cold shower in the winter to me... :lolno: ).

But its cheap price has also always been a big part of its attractiveness. I remember begging Giannis to take my money at some point because I was afraid revenues wouldn't be sufficient to keep the development going... From the outside, I believe a change of pricing policy had to happen at some point anyway for the company to survive.

I'm not ready to jump off the ship right now because Thea made me earn a living on the cheap for nearly 10 year (!!!). I despise this rental model but it's a sign of the times (what a song... :thumbup: ), we'd better get used to it I'm afraid...

Still Solo, I've always admired and praised your work and I hope I can continue whether it be here or somewhere else...

Thanks for the ride! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author leminilab for the post (total 3):
panagiotis (Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 am) • mgdacruz (Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:40 pm) • noro (Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm)
Rating: 12%
Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.
warnotte
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm happy to have left the Ship while ago ... :mrgreen:

I don't regret the period before Altair of course, it was very nice.
victor

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:49 am

I've just land here since I saw a post in fb about this in Antonis timeline, and my first idea was that this could be a madness movement by Altair, but at the end of the day I think that Thea is becoming more and more just an Altair ecosystem tool.
These users thanked the author victor for the post (total 2):
leminilab (Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am) • Javadevil (Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:33 am)
Rating: 8%
https://www.motivacg.com
· CGArt & Technology ·
Pixero
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:20 am

I dont think Altair is treating us Thea customers in a way we deserve when releasing such a big news in a newsletter that not all receive and no official announcement on the forum and I wonder why no one can explain how this will impact current users of a permanent license. :thumbdown:
These users thanked the author Pixero for the post (total 3):
bmscmoreira (Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:20 am) • leminilab (Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am) • Nicola (Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 am)
bmscmoreira
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 am

So this is becoming a trend. I am extremely frustrated at this, considering the past with Thea beta's / Kerkythea before that, but I was expecting it when Solid Iris was purchased by Altair. A community driven software was going to be turned into a faceless product.

To make things clear and to not waste any of other people's time:

1- I do not appreciate software-as-a-rent;
2- I expect my current plugin licenses version (in case Rhino 2.0) to work until it becomes incompatible with Rhino; I bought a standalone license and will not be forced to migrate to anything else; if that is the only scenario, I will request a full refund;
3- I will start to search for other rendering options; it was a nice ride, and I have to thank all people involved in Thea, especially all supportive people in the forums.

Goodbye, with sadness,
Bruno.
These users thanked the author bmscmoreira for the post (total 3):
leminilab (Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am) • Pixero (Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:42 pm) • seraleklee1 (Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:47 pm)