Video Tutorial: Reflectance and Roughness

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Spherical wrote:This was very useful. Fully understanding the physics is essential and helps all work with materials and texturing; not only in a physically-based renderer. To a certain degree, biased renderers in any application will respond in the same way to settings applied there and result in better output.
well Thea biased BSD render is also physically based :) ... there is a very important difference between "physically plausible" material systems and "physically based" ones. I will explain it soon with a video tutorial.

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
PINOY
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks, very helpful tutorial" :thumbup:
Jahe
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Cool and helpful, as always.

I wish the Sigma and the Extinction Coefficient and Index of Refrection (in terms of reflection) was covered. But maybe it´s worth a separate video.
Spherical
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

patricks wrote:well Thea biased BSD render is also physically based :) ... there is a very important difference between "physically plausible" material systems and "physically based" ones.
Ah. I took the BSD versions to be equivalent to, for instance, native LightWave biased. Still, the information gleaned from the tutorial helps to obtain better surfaces in renderers like LightWave and Modo. It's similar to the information I gained from one of the tutorials on diffuse values not being set above 240. Since I have been doing that, and also updating specified values on earlier projects, then adjusting the lighting to suit, the renders have been coming out much more pleasing to the eye. All of these little tid-bits to be found.... and I am happy to have found this many.
Carbon Fiber, Blown Glass & Imagination
Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!
yglemarec
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

so usefull ! thank you very much thea team
"no pen , no gain ! "

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”