Upcoming v1.4 Edition - Requirements and Deprecated Features

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dear friends,

with next edition 1.4, we are also making a leap forward with respect to some of our development tools and libraries. Due to this progression, there will be certain incompatibilities with some systems. Even more, to have accelerated development some features are also deprecated.

It is therefore important for us to see that the impact these changes will bring is going to be minimum. And the majority of our users, if possible all, will continue to enjoy the newest edition. The changes involve the core of Thea Render, which will have a direct impact on the integrations (and Studio).

Please read below.

Best wishes

Operating Systems

Windows
- SDK available in both 32/64-bit. Thea Studio available in both 32/64-bit. Presto GPU will need CUDA 6.5 compatible driver.
- Windows XP 32/64-bit: Support for WindowsXP is discontinued.
- Windows Vista: Supported by Thea Render but not supported by Thea Presto GPU (due to Vista unsupported by CUDA 6.5).
- Windows 7/8/10: OK

OSX
- SDK available in both 32/64-bit. Thea Studio available in 64-bit only. Presto GPU will need CUDA 5.5 compatible driver on 32-bit and CUDA 6.5 compatible driver on 64-bit.
- Tiger 10.4: Discontinued by both integrations and Studio.
- Leopard 10.5: Discontinued by both integrations and Studio.
- Snow Leopard 10.6/Lion 10.7: Supported by integrations including Presto GPU. Studio will not run with Thea Presto GPU (due to unsupported CUDA 6.5).
- Mountain Lion 10.8/Mavericks 10.9/Yosemite 10.10: OK

Linux
- SDK available in 64-bit only. Thea Studio available in 64-bit only. Presto GPU will need CUDA 6.5 compatible driver.
- Ubuntu 14.04 & other OSes up-to-date OSes: OK.
- Older OSes: should run (but officially unsupported).

Deprecated Features
- Progressive AO/MC will not be directly available. Due to the rise of Presto AO/MC, which is the analog of Progressive AO/MC, we decided to remove these engines for better clarity and less maintenance work (although, one will still be able to use them through presets).
- Max Passes will not be available anymore. Only Max Samples (renamed to Sample Limit) will be available, which makes more sense anyway.
- Displacement micro bump will not be available anymore.

Unsupported Architectures
- NVidia Graphic cards of compute capability 1.x will not be supported anymore due to shifting to CUDA 6.5.
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

The OS support makes perfect sense.

I have to say I'm especially glad to see the feature "simplifications". Thea has been growing a bit "wildly", plugging on options, making it every time more complicated for me to explain to colleagues which is the right preset for them today. :problem:

This move will allow for more focused development, along the KISS guidelines ("Keep it Simple, Stupid"), without sacrificing on pro features. Highly appreciated! :clap:
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Indeed. SW development must be always like this, expand and clean up. And even don't be afraid, to (re)start something from scratch.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Looks good to me and makes sense. :-)

Cheers,

Tom
sepo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

What is the rational behind removing displacement micro bumps?
ivan.dedos
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:Indeed. SW development must be always like this, expand and clean up. And even don't be afraid, to (re)start something from scratch.

Best wishes
Very well said! :clap: I think most users are very happy with these simplifications, it signify progress. :thumbup:

Best wishes!
• SketchUp 2019.1 • Spanish SketchUp Forumdedos.estudio • Windows 10 64bit • Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz • 32 GB RAM
Rombout

Thats a big leap, but the older systems was holding thea back i think. Good decision!

I never actually used micro bump, perhaps 1-3 times orso
Javadevil
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

This seems to be the way to go, the only engines I use are Presto, TR2 and TR1.

cheers
Spherical
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:- Displacement micro bump will not be available anymore.
This is "Micro-displacement" not "Micro Roughness"?
Carbon Fiber, Blown Glass & Imagination
Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!
hammer
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Will there be some implementation of micro roughness in the future? How do I find out if I have cuda 6.5?

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”