New Downloads Page - Beta Phase

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

christina
admin
admin

Dear friends,

hello once again.
As we needed to have a better insight of the downloads of our site and offer more details to the users upon downloading, we decided to create a new page for Thea Downloads (in place of the 'Try' page).

At this page user needs to add his/her name and email and then select the needed program to be downloaded. He is then redirected to a 'Thank you' page -while the download starts- where several information exist (manual, getting started video etc.) based on the selected application.
This new page will be useful mostly to new users, as most of you around here, grab the newer versions from within the forum before their release at main site and are also aware of manuals, tutorials etc..
This new implementation will make it also easier for us to control the public versions and gather some statistics.

Once again, your feedback is valuable in order to make the page functional and check if any weird issues occur (downloads not starting, broken links, layout problems or anything else).

We have created a test page for this purpose at the following link, at which you can make some download tests: https://www.thearender.com/site/index.p ... loads/form

After this beta phase, we will use this page to replace the existing downloads page at site.
A feature to be added soon is to send an email afterwards to the user with the product details and other useful information.

Please have a look at the page and send us your comments, remarks and of course if any bugs exist so that we can correct them and make it public to all soon.

Thank you in advance for the feedback,
Christina
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

First impression: Good :-) :thumbup:

Thoughts:
- Some people may want to download several things and in that case the form could become tedious. This could either be several OS versions as well as for instance Thea Studio + Thea Converter + Colimo.
I encountered such download pages in the past and was easily annoyed if I had to go through it 5 times to download all I was interested in...

- Do people at that stage already know what exactly they need?
Like: "Do I need/want Studio as well as the plugin(s)".
Do they know what "Thea Converter" and "Colimo" are?
In some cases a small text change may help ("Thea Substance Converter") in other cases it would need a sentence of explanation. Could be between the buttons as static text or shown in one central text field when a specific button is selected.

And like all pages for our beautiful Thea: It should show some amazing rendering :-)

Cheers,

Tom
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

I agree with the above critics. I would have some list where we could choose many downloads.

I would also change the name of Thea Converter to Thea Substance Converter as people won't understand what kind of converter we are talking about.

Finally, the name input form and respective instructions gave me trouble (they usually do but this time I made a fool of myself, and people don't like that much :? ):

Name is a single input box:

Instructions say "Name - Last Name":

I wrote:

"João Queiroz e Lima" (I have two last names that would usually have to stay connected)

It got an error and the following instructions in portuguese: "Faça corresponder o formato pedido"

Wich is not a clear sentence in portuguese because it might lead to a series of different interpretations:

Basically what it says is "Match the required format" so I read what was requestedand wrote the following atempts on the input :lol: :

"João Lima" - because I felt it was related with the two last names (I got this error a lot). However I still had the error so I wrote:

"João - Queiroz e Lima" - As I thought probably the format had to be "Name - Last Name", and I still got an Error, so I tried:

"João - Lima" was my next guess

"Joao - Lima" was my next try wich is ridiculous

and finally I made peace with Thea when I typed:

"Joao Lima" the ~ isn't accepted.

My name, wich is one of the most simple portuguese names, gives me all sorts of headaches online...

:roll:
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
christina
admin
admin

Oh... I am so sorry for all these tries João.. I will fix this asap.. I guess it was because of special characters at the name, I need to address it and add them to a 'white list'.
The portuguese translation for the form error, is Browser default for erroneous forms; I didn't add it, so I am not sure what really means and how to correct it; bit I will search for it..
I will correct them tomorrow and notify you to have a test :)

Concerning the multiple downloads, it is among future intentions; it's more complicated as you need to start either three or four let's say files downloads at browser, or zip them all before to one file only (this seems the best way) but because of the large files this may take some time. Another idea is to create a All-in-one Bundle that will have Studio and all plugins at one zip directly.

Thank you for your feedback :)
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

You could either show a list for the downloads or put the links in the mail you send (that is what many other companies do). That also makes it more probable that people use a real mail they can access.

Cheers,

Tom
christina
admin
admin

christina wrote:My name, wich is one of the most simple portuguese names, gives me all sorts of headaches online...
Dear João, I made some fixes to the page and allowed now some special letter characters (like ã) and -.
Could you please check and tell me if this time submitting the form is easier?!
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
ThomasHelzle wrote:You could either show a list for the downloads or put the links in the mail you send (that is what many other companies do). That also makes it more probable that people use a real mail they can access.
Well, this is quite easy to be done as we have created links that can be clicked for certain times and with time expiration in order to be used later in emails. Though, we didn't want to go directly from the totally open page with links to the mail sending only. This form before the download is an intermediate step.
In an upcoming version we may send it only with emails as suggested :)

Thank you all for your feedback and Suggestions! :wave:
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

It worked nicelly this time.
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Mohammad Nael

Nice idea
IMHO I believe when I click on 3ds max it must direct me to three older versions, for ex if a user has got a bug in the lasted ver how can he get the older one which is working probably for him!!!
More, I advise you to add "list of changes" when I choose any ver you must supply the user of all new features and bugs fixed.

-As for me I hate to enter my name for each download I feel crazy it should be a usual login and this will not affect your statistics.

regards
christina
admin
admin

Thanks Nael for the Feedback!

- Concerning older versions and changes log, we prefer to leave this to forum and Auto Updates functionality. A new-coming user is better to get the newer version directly.
But what can be easily done and is a nice idea, is to add a link at the thank you page that goes directly to Support & Feedback area of selected plugin where older versions/changes log also exist :)

- Concerning the user registration, I think we will add it to the future so that each user will have a user area, not only for download purposes but for other stuff too. For now we wanted to avoid registration system.. I will though try to enable again the auto complete functionality to allow forms auto complete. In this way you can easily&fast add your data.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

christina wrote:Thanks Nael for the Feedback!

- Concerning older versions and changes log, we prefer to leave this to forum and Auto Updates functionality. A new-coming user is better to get the newer version directly.
But what can be easily done and is a nice idea, is to add a link at the thank you page that goes directly to Support & Feedback area of selected plugin where older versions/changes log also exist :)

- Concerning the user registration, I think we will add it to the future so that each user will have a user area, not only for download purposes but for other stuff too. For now we wanted to avoid registration system.. I will though try to enable again the auto complete functionality to allow forms auto complete. In this way you can easily&fast add your data.
:thumbup:

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”