Thea Studio v1.5.08 Revision 1455

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

allabulle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks for the heads-up, Giannis.
Benjamin76

giannis wrote:I have been experimenting with noise reduction and new techniques for Presto since, almost, the time of reporting this issue. It is still ongoing research for this, since reducing the noise is actually the holy grail for render engines like Presto.

But this exact issue where you see an older version with less noise leads to Presto actually "losing" lights. I am very very hesitant to go back to the older version, instead I am putting all my effort in the last weeks researching and experimenting with more techniques for reduced noise.

Best regards
I am really, really glad to hear you what you just said here. Never lower the bar and always seek perfection, this is the attitude we all deeply appreciate and want to have in our profession.
My Thea for Rhino blog with tutorials and downloads: https://archvisfangxu.wordpress.com/
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:I have been experimenting with noise reduction and new techniques for Presto since, almost, the time of reporting this issue. It is still ongoing research for this, since reducing the noise is actually the holy grail for render engines like Presto.

But this exact issue where you see an older version with less noise leads to Presto actually "losing" lights. I am very very hesitant to go back to the older version, instead I am putting all my effort in the last weeks researching and experimenting with more techniques for reduced noise.

Best regards
this is good news, but i do have a further question - i appreciate that in certain scenarios the current version is superior, but in scenes with fewer lights it seems the opposite is true.

given that there are many scenarios where fewer lights are needed, doesn't it make sense to make Presto more 'intelligent' and have some way to decide which algorithm is more appropriate depending on scene lighting?

that way in scenes where the previous Presto works best we have that solution and in scenes where the new Presto works best we have a more appropriate solution... and then on top of that we can apply NR. i think that would result in significantly faster renders and give us the best of all worlds :?:
JQL
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

I tend to agree with Sandro at a first glance.

However, having you dedicated to perfection is better in the long term, if you find a way to have less noise on renders overall.

I'm confident you'll find the best solution in the end and I'm hoping on top of that we can tick an optional noise reduction algorithm each pass as in image editors, even if accuracy is reduced a bit.
www.casca.pt
Visit us on facebook!

Win 10 64bit
Sketchup 2017 64bit
Intel i7 5820K 3.3Ghz 32Gb Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb
Rombout

By loosing light you mean the image will be darker right? How is it possible that renders less noise while it has less light, i dont quite understand how thats possible?
Hieru
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Rombout wrote:By loosing light you mean the image will be darker right? How is it possible that renders less noise while it has less light, i dont quite understand how thats possible?
He's talking about a bug some people had, where light sources at a certain distance from the camera were not illuminating (they showed up as black, if I recall correctly).
Anthony
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Yes there was actually an example scene from nigec which was used for reference testing of that particular issue.
“ No man ever made a great discovery without the exercise of the imagination. ”
— George Henry Lewes
nigec
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Anthony wrote:Yes there was actually an example scene from nigec which was used for reference testing of that particular issue.
Yes it should be in the beta forum Rombout, it was something really simple 15 or 20 pillars a meter apart with a light shining on them, I think the last 5 or 6 didn't illuminate or just speckles
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
My Gallery
Rombout

I think i remember that indeed, Was that the scene with a street view with trees or light poles with lights at the bottom. The light at the end, far at the back, would be very noisy or hard to see?

To bad this fix has such a influence on the other settings.
Benjamin76

Just came across a really silly bug with this revision. When loading the official Adaptive(AMC) preset from the menu, the render engine settings are showing something about Presto(AO).

There are a few simple mistakes in Thea Studio that never got fixed. One example is "Galvanized 01" in the default material library. The material has missing links and hence is always pitch black when used.
My Thea for Rhino blog with tutorials and downloads: https://archvisfangxu.wordpress.com/

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”