How do you...?

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

pckmark
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I think i have something to add aswell.

I dont know if this is a bug, but when i click the "texture" button in the new revision, i get no response. It took me a while to notice, since i usually drag a procedural texture from the "content" and start tweaking.

Another thing, would be the relight tab. If you look at the "refresh" "save", and those icons, it looks like the text below the icons almost overlaps eachother. The text is not visible below the keyframe icons either. This is minor offcourse, but i guess it all adds up in the end when everything is as polished as the rest of the UI.

I dont know wether it is linux related, maybe someone on windows or mac can investigate it, but when i move the bars in the viewport, it seems to lagg a bit behind, which seems weird when the viewport is so snappy. Again, minor.

A second material lab? Is that the intention? Its only visible when you click "more settings" but i wonder what use it has? Im not that advanced a user, so i havent figured it out yet :D

The last thing i would like to say is, that if people feel claustrophobic when viewing their rendering image(like me occasionaly), it is very neat to be able to double-click the rendering image, and then having it go into fullview. Really helpfull.

By the way, i like the interface, and i appreciate that you started out with a dark interface, for those of us who suffer from the daily rasterburn :lol:

Best Wishes
-Mark
They must find it difficult... Those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority
-G. Massey
imodel
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks Giannis,

No worries. I guess I should also mention that toggling between viewport and darkroom is also a biggie.

BTW, I like the dark interface. I did not at first. But now that I have learned where everything is, I like that it is easy on the eyes. :shock:
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

Hi pckmark

about the "Texture Button" ... this has changed .... now if you left click on the "Texture Button" , then the Texture ( bitmap if there is any ) will get displayed in the view port when in Solid render mode ... this way you can display any texture you have on your material, being it the diffuse, bump, roughness map, reflection map or even layer weight maps ... this will help for manipulating those maps with realtime feedback in the view port ...... if you want to open the Texture Lab , then you have to right click the "Texture Button" :)

the second Material Lab is just to compare two Material or when you want to copy/past values or drag & drop colors and maps from one Material to another.

hmmm .... i am not sure what you mean with full screen for the dark room .... it work exactly like you say, double clicking the darkroom window will expand it to full screen and double clicking again will restore it

about the dark theme ... it was made exactly because of this ... when working with a program for long time , you appreciate if it dont "burn" you eyes ;)

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

imodel wrote: BTW, I like the dark interface. I did not at first. But now that I have learned where everything is, I like that it is easy on the eyes. :shock:
Well, that was the idea :)

We had a lot of things to squeeze in Thea UI, and perhaps this is something that stresses users at first glance (that there are a lot of things "squeezed"). There are some ideas now dropped on table, about having layers of abstraction/details in the interface. I can say though one thing; this project starts ambitiously and there will be quite a few changes (functionality added or dropped) on the way.

For example, since you mention it here... what if we could place viewport & darkroom side by side, with a preference setting? Just throwing an idea...

best wishes
giannis
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thing is, once you start getting used to Thea it all falls in place and I rather like the UI now.

I would however need larger fonts or a larger preview in the bitmaps window of the Texture previews (I'm getting old and they just to small for me to see)
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

I would however need larger fonts or a larger preview in the bitmaps window of the Texture previews
if you mean the Texture Lab ... then you can increase the Texture preview under the Option icon. ( well it zooms the texture so you can see more detail )

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Patrick, he means the preview images (which are now 150x150) to be larger (say 200x200).
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

aha ... i understand now :)

Greetings Patrick

Richard P. Feynman
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I mean this:

Sometimes I have multiple of the same material that are unique for UV mapping, so they would be named like bamboo1a, bamboo1b, bamboo1c, etc and they all look the same in the bitmap and I need to read the name to differentiate them.
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist

i see .... maybe somthing like we have in the Material Browser ... the zoom icon could help ?

Greetings Patrick

Richard P. Feynman

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”