Thea Render Revision 415

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dear friends

with this new revision, we make a step forward in Thea functionality by adding the major new feature of interactive render (IR). Now, you can use IR to get quick feedback from the scene and even, make (quick) production rendering using the new implemented methods. The implementation currently uses CPU, but this can also be considered as our first step for GPU rendering by implementing all the UI functionality (necessary to having fun with rendering!).

Besides this feature, there are some stability fixes in the user interface, the browsers are now more compact keeping all folders in separate tabs, the controls and navigation have better response, CRF works correctly now with different 3-color and black&white films. There is also a last minute addition, a shadow-only parameter to make progressive/unbiased renders even more... interesting! A shadow-only material is an empty one (no layers at all) with the corresponding parameter in the General panel enabled. This works great for integrating your scene in HDRI by calculating shadows from IBL/Sky (this feature will be enhanced with addition of render passes and integration of sun shadows/lighting). Currently, it does not work for Adaptive (BSD) method.

A last note: implementing interactive render took us more time than initially planned, mostly due to the complexity of integrating it with the rest of UI. This left us with no time at the end (and due to the high anticipation) for improving network rendering which we have as next top priority. Please note also, that there may still be some instability when working with IR and we are also in the process of reproducing/fixing certain cases. Your input may help us considerably.

Note that, as always, if you are during production rendering it is recommended to avoid upgrading, let this revision tested for a few days and then get it from site downloads page. As always, the new revision can be found in the usual place:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =61&t=1849

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
SamHowell
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

No way!

At last!

Well done and thanks

:P
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks a lot, I'll test it right know with exterior renders.
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Apart from the very cool IR option, there is also 'shadow catcher', awesome feature.
naudofr

yesss ! :D

Thanks a lot and congratulation to the team.
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

After a few tests... Impressive !!! Even with one of my biggest model, IR is very responsive (after the first calculation). Really great work guys !

Edit : Plus, IR will help a lot to reduce the learning curve of Thea !
naudofr

Great work you have done !

IR with tweaking depth of field, filtering, exposure ...etc. A pleasure. :D
DBK
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I just had a chance to play a little with IR before heading home - and what a joy!

You just made me even more happy for buying this software. Thanks! :mrgreen:
The world is real, theory is only a tool trying to explain it!
velopl
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

At last !!

WOW even dispersion is working !! :twisted:
Last edited by velopl on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Lukasz
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Super cool!! :mrgreen:

Is it possible to select a focus point by clicking the point to be in focus?
And by just looking at it? (okay, maybe that's asking for too much ;) )
EDIT: I just discovered it in the Selection/Nav. Tools, just by looking at them.
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”