Thea Render Revision 423

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dear friends

this new revision is mostly a maintenance one with various small fixes to the previous RV415 which introduced the interactive render feature. As always, you can find the download links from our latest revision thread: http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =61&t=1849

Of course, there are a few nice additions that make this revision charmer than the previous ones. First of all, you can edit now colors "inline", i.e. within the properties sheets. It is very nice when one needs to quickly tweak the color while keeping a nice and quick workflow. For this, look for a small button on the left of the color buttons; click on this and the control will be expanded to include the HSV properties (but you can also switch to RGB).

Our second main UI addition is that the labels in the properties sheets have become "dynamic". They are highlighted and you can drag & drop them to another label in order to copy value. You can also right click on them to get a context menu. This addition accelerates things when - for example - you want to copy a filename from IBL reflection to refraction channel. And with the context menu, you can also - for example - clear the images assigned to a channel.

With this revision, we also optimized the advanced material simulation scene. You can find now in File > Examples the AdvancedMaterialSimulationIBL.scn.thea which uses IBL lighting instead of area lights; this accelerates rendering quite a lot in unbiased modes.

Another good thing is that, starting from this revision, uninstallation becomes a safe operation. On windows, your data are not being removed (this will require a manual delete if you want to remove all data). It is also very important that on Linux & Macs, the data are now transferred to a different place (on first run) where they are kept safe (in case you accidentally remove thea directory) but also shared with the next revisions to come (no need to copy your data anymore).

Finally, starting with RV423, academic and lab/volume licenses can be accepted since for them, certain changes in the licensing system had to be made.

Enjoy and thanks in advance for your feedback and support!

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
moeamaya
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

This is a great update! Is there a way to start to obtain academic license yet?
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Yes! Please read our announcement http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =16&t=3730. Sending the papers before going to purchasing is necessary in order to get a confirmation - we also want that customers to send us an e-mail address hosted by university/college (although this is not always possible, like for students in first semesters or high schools and in such cases, it is not required).

Using latest revision RV423 is necessary for installing an academic license. Academic licenses are now in our e-store: http://www.thearender.com/cms/index.php ... &Itemid=53

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
velopl
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Nice :) I'm downloading now.
Regards
Lukasz
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Nice one, the safe uninstall!
simonlebon
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Dear Giannis, :)

Thank you very much for this new update.
I like very much the quality of the renderings, and it is a pleasure to learn with such a software..

I have installed with success Rev 423 32bits as the main server application on my winXP x32 main computer. But all my tries to make the Rev 423 64bits work as client on my win7 x64 laptop had failed.: no access to configuration, very slow replies to clic requests..
I'm back with Rev 415 64bits which works good.

No idea if I'm alone to experience this...

Cheers,
Simon.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

simonlebon wrote:But all my tries to make the Rev 423 64bits work as client on my win7 x64 laptop had failed.: no access to configuration, very slow replies to clic requests..
I'm back with Rev 415 64bits which works good.
This is new. :roll:

Indeed though, there are 2 problems introduced with this revision, a) slow IR updates when playing with IBL panel settings and b) failed activation on Linux/Mac. The first is due to the most accurate sampling in 423 (which takes more time during initialization) - we are looking for a workaround. The second can be bypassed easily by user by creating the following folder prior to installation: /home/YourUserName/Documents/Thea Render/Licenses on Linux and /Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Thea Render/Licenses on MacOSX.

There will be a small maintenance revision within the next days.
michael.b
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

i bought the academic license, and it worked good, no problems and giannis has been nicely responsive during the process.

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”