Thea Render Revision 446

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Panga wrote:Giannis,

I had a question about the Opengl Viewport as you're speaking about it. I'm frequently working on large models, which are sometimes relatively high poly models, and I encountered some reccurent troubles :
1. First, when I zoom out to see the whole model, the model tends to disapear, whatever the display mode I choose (wireframe, solid, etc...)

2. For the majority of my large models, high poly or not, the Opengl viewport is slow to very slow, and I wanted to know if it's a limitation of those dev revisions of Thea and if the performance of Opengl viewport'll be improved in the future.

3. In large models again, when I zoom out and I want to move a camera from its pivot, sometimes I move the camera pivot, and sometimes I move the pivot of the camera target, and It's hard to see where I have to click in order to get the right pivot. I can zoom in to see the difference, but then I cannot see anymore my model, and as Thea is slow in displaying large models, it's a bit annoying...don't Know if something can be done for that.

Some observations I wanted to make for a long time. Thanks anyway for your hard work on Thea developpement.

Ps : My configuration : Win7 64 bits, 8 gb ram, CPU QX9650 3ghz, 2 NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS512Mo. in SLI with up to date drivers.

Regards.

Panga.
hi Panga

about 1, there is a hardcoded limit of 1Km - this is the furthest distance you can see. Could it be that the model is exported with wrong scale?

The second is indeed a problem but having a test scene ( your slowest!) could help us using it as a benchmark. For the third, perhaps we could hide target pivot by default.

Best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:
Panga wrote:Giannis,

I had a question about the Opengl Viewport as you're speaking about it. I'm frequently working on large models, which are sometimes relatively high poly models, and I encountered some reccurent troubles :
1. First, when I zoom out to see the whole model, the model tends to disapear, whatever the display mode I choose (wireframe, solid, etc...)

2. For the majority of my large models, high poly or not, the Opengl viewport is slow to very slow, and I wanted to know if it's a limitation of those dev revisions of Thea and if the performance of Opengl viewport'll be improved in the future.

3. In large models again, when I zoom out and I want to move a camera from its pivot, sometimes I move the camera pivot, and sometimes I move the pivot of the camera target, and It's hard to see where I have to click in order to get the right pivot. I can zoom in to see the difference, but then I cannot see anymore my model, and as Thea is slow in displaying large models, it's a bit annoying...don't Know if something can be done for that.

Some observations I wanted to make for a long time. Thanks anyway for your hard work on Thea developpement.

Ps : My configuration : Win7 64 bits, 8 gb ram, CPU QX9650 3ghz, 2 NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS512Mo. in SLI with up to date drivers.

Regards.

Panga.
hi Panga

about 1, there is a hardcoded limit of 1Km - this is the furthest distance you can see. Could it be that the model is exported with wrong scale?

The second is indeed a problem but having a test scene ( your slowest!) could help us using it as a benchmark. For the third, perhaps we could hide target pivot by default.

Best wishes
Thanks for your answer Giannis,

About 1, As a lanscape architect, I'm often working on large aeras for landscape planning, or for making some "photomontage" in order to evaluate the impact of a project from distant point of view. That's why I'm quite often farest than 1 km.

For the second I'll send u a test scene as soon as I'm back to my work (next week) in order you can test it.

For the Third one, maybe It's possible to hide the target pivot as soon as we are at a certain distance of the camera, I mean when It's hard to see the difference between the two pivots.

Again best whishes to you.

Regards.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Panga wrote:For the Third one, maybe It's possible to hide the target pivot as soon as we are at a certain distance of the camera, I mean when It's hard to see the difference between the two pivots.
Good point. There's a more generic problem when being near a camera/light and making a selection (I believe it was solved though some revisions ago), I 'll try to make a fix for pivots as well.

greetings
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
velopl
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Oh come on giannis ... chill out, it's new year !! Happy new year to everybody !!!
Regards
Lukasz
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Right! :D
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi Giannis,

I can send you one of my big scenes in order that you can test it, but as it is part of my job and I do not want to spread it on the web, is there a way to send you the file privatly ? It seems that I cannot PM you with the forum.

Regards.

Panga.
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

You can send the scene to dev[at]thearender.com with a brief description and a link to original topic.
Panga
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Ok, thanks Notareal. I'll dot it now.

And I presume it's dev[at]thearender.com and not dev[at]therender.com.
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

correct!

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”