Thea Render Revision 470

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

Rombout

wow that improvement on the bump means we need to redo all of our preset materials!!!!!
hahaha dont think DALLAS is goiing to like that :lol:

i installed the new version and needed to redo all the preview scenes. But i copied the new once over now, that was easier

ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:Or maybe the XSI exporter is setting a wrong tag? I'll investigate.
This could be the case as well, i.e. something in the source XML file. :roll:
Hi giannis,

it was the Softimage XSI exporter which is out of sync with the latest changes in Thea.
Steven is on it.

Cheers,

Thomas
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Rombout wrote:wow that improvement on the bump means we need to redo all of our preset materials!!!!!

i installed the new version and needed to redo all the preview scenes. But i copied the new once over now, that was easier

I'm not sure if I like the new bumps.
The old ones were perfect for stills, very sharp and well defined like in hardly any other renderer.
Would it make sense to have a choice here?

Cheers,

Thomas
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

One have a opportunity for much wider range with bump. With a rough estimate if before the bump (%) where 100%, you can now use 20%. For that wood sample 5-10% should be fine and give similar result that old bump.
DallasRT
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Rombout wrote:wow that improvement on the bump means we need to redo all of our preset materials!!!!!

I think I will let you guys do your own conversion :think: and any new materials will reflect the new revisions bump and displacement. You are right though, I do not see myself going back over the 1300+ materials I've uploaded. :wtf:
Xeon 5600 Series 4 Twelve Core Processor
192GB DDR3 1333 MHz
4 - Quadro 6000
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ThomasHelzle wrote: I'm not sure if I like the new bumps.
The old ones were perfect for stills, very sharp and well defined like in hardly any other renderer.
Would it make sense to have a choice here?
The new one is actually much better in terms of evaluation. There is a difference in strength
(the new one is stronger), so one has to set strength now less and there are no "fireflies"
when it comes to unbiased rendering.

@Rombout: which one is the new bump?

@DallasRT: we will make an auto-conversion in next revision.
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

jenujacob wrote:i still hope that TR1 Sun Discs become a reality sooon!!! :lol:
very very soon... 8-)
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

giannis wrote: @Rombout: which one is the new bump?
I believe left is new bump. Looks similar to my experiment with Thea wood library materials, with they default bump.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Ok, so I guess I have to work some more with the new bump and adapt all my materials - sorry for my premature posting above. :oops:

Cheers,

Thomas
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ThomasHelzle wrote:Ok, so I guess I have to work some more with the new bump and adapt all my materials - sorry for my premature posting above.
I don't believe it is needed, since we are going to adapt the older scenes inc. bump with a newer revision.

Crossing my fingers, an update will be available today :)

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”