Thea Render Revision 472

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dear friends,

this quick revision fixes a few issues causes by the immediate previous one (RV470). The crashes of Thea when applying a translation file (changing language) are now fixed. Also, the cameras are now visible again since RV470 was showing only the current view. Finally, IES lights (both point and area) have now a multiplier.

Moving on, there is a nice addition for TR1 and IR engines, where now the sun disc is also visible (like in TR2). The problem with infinite plane has also been fixed (along with an aliasing issue). [Thanks to jenujacob for providing the test scene.]
TR1 render in previous revisions.
TR1 render in previous revisions.
sun_infplane_RV470.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 566 times
TR1 render with RV472 - sun disc is visible and infinite plane aliasing is gone.
TR1 render with RV472 - sun disc is visible and infinite plane aliasing is gone.
sun_infplane_RV472.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Also, we have implemented a nice workflow feature for IES files, but it still has limited testing. The idea, is that you can browse IES files also from Thea's browser - click on the "+" of your Browser panel and add the ies folder for starters. You can see a list of ies files that ship with Thea (we have already rendered their previews*). Now, you can drag & drop an IES file to your material editor (Preview or Layers windows) and an Emitter layer will be added (with the selected IES file). You can also select multiple IES area and IES point lights and then select your IES file > Right Click > Apply, to change their IES profile of all the lights to the selected file (becareful as the scene lights must be already setup with an IES profile).
Drag & drop ies file to material editor add IES profile layer.
Drag & drop ies file to material editor add IES profile layer.
dragdrop_iesfile2.jpg (262.11 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Apply IES file to existing IES lights (point/area). You can also just double click instead or right clicking and applying.
Apply IES file to existing IES lights (point/area). You can also just double click instead or right clicking and applying.
apply_iesfile.jpg (171.92 KiB) Viewed 566 times
As always, you can find the new revision in the usual thread: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1849

best wishes

Since, the download speed is not always that good (something that we are going to improve with an upgrade in March), here is a mirror for downloading:
Windows: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... .4_RC4.exe
Linux: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... RC4.tar.gz
MacOSX: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... .4_RC4.dmg

* You can also save a file preview from material editor by clicking the Save button. Then give a filename with the extension ".ies.png" (this file must be in the same folder with the IES file to be used as a preview).
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
dbalex
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

thanks
tridem
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

ies previews... COOL :thumbup: Giannis, you're astonishing :o
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

tridem wrote:ies previews... COOL :thumbup: Giannis, you're astonishing :o
+1. nice addition
ciccio
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

great :clap:
Modo 501|BLENDER 2.5|Wings 3D|ZBRUSH 4R2|3Dcoat|THEA RENDER|Maxwell 2.5.1|MARMOSET TOOLBAG|
Javadevil
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Great work Ioannis, I love the IES multiplier :)
Yes I realize is was never there before, I've been in another renderer the last couple weeks and getting confused.

Animated cameras in the viewport don't work. ( you can't look through the animated camera ).
Rombout

Javadevil wrote:Great work Ioannis, I love the IES multiplier :)
Yes I realize is was never there before, I've been in another renderer the last couple weeks and getting confused.

Animated cameras in the viewport don't work. ( you can't look through the animated camera ).
well you actually can!
when you have done your animation, there's a small trick! pretty simple though. select your camera which has the animation>than hit the mount button>click play animation. Now you will see the animation through your animated camera, works pretty oke. But haven't tested it yet with big models though. Hope this helps
jenujacob
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

When u said soon.. i didnt mean this soon!!!! :o :o

you da man Giannis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :thumbup:
Win10 x64 | Intel i9-10900K | GeForce RTX 3090 | GeForce RTX 2060| 64Gb Ram
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Javadevil wrote: Animated cameras in the viewport don't work. ( you can't look through the animated camera ).
I knew that there was still something not fixed there... :mrgreen:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Regarding bump maps auto-conversion, we found that a single scale for strength adjustment won't do the work. Diffuse bump maps produce fairly close results already, it is for glossy/coating that changes need to be made. We decided to take a further look inside weekend to be sure whether adjustment can be made. Another point, is that the bump map implementation for biased engine is not complete yet, since it ignores trilinear filtering option (this may be the reason for harder bumps now in BSD; we are going to add it with next revision). From all the tests we made with bump, new implementation was found to be superior in practice (something expected also by the "theory" behind new implementation).

I know that the brightness and bump changes are killers for older scenes, but here we had to take this ugly decision to at least make them before release date. It was a "better now than later" decision. :oops:

best wishes

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”