Thea Render Revision 472

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ThomasHelzle wrote: In your screenshots and when I tried it out myself, I found that like you say, the IES isn't really a material. So it seems that if I drag an IES in the material Lab with an IES light selected, the IES is actually added to the last material active, shown by the small lamp symbol next to the objects that use that material. Now I'm not really sure if this is how it should be?
While it would be possible to use a material that isn't used in the scene to add the IES, this feels illogical somehow, so I don't think I understand the underlying concept.
Is that because it's a "feature in progress" or am I actually missing something?
Not really... the IES File in this case, represents a layer. But you are right in this and the full implementation
will actually be a bit twisted: if you drag & drop the IES file to the layers "Scheme", then it will be added
to the material as a layer (like when you add other materials there). But if you drag & drop this to the
material preview, then it will replace the material completely with - simply - an IES emitter.

I hope the above makes sense. :think:
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
christrapeze
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Location: Hurjaruuth dance theater at The Pannhaulli at Kaapelitehdas Helsinki

hi i am having trouble downloading this revision i have had no trouble at all since june last year
norton keeps removing it as a threat ??????? very puzzled

c:\users\chris\downloads\thearender_rv472_v1.0.4_rc4.exe.ck79msx.partial
Origin: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... .4_RC4.exe
Status Quarantined, Threat Removed

Norton 360

i have tried six times

not a problem just puzzeld

cheers

i overrode norton and brought it back out of quarantine just thought i would mention this
i7 990x hex core overclocked 4.3Ghz 24Gb ram
2 X GTX 770 2 Gb, fractal design 1000w 80+ platinum
i5 3.2Ghz 8Gb ram GTX480 1.5 Gb

ASUS ROG G752, GTX 980m 4GB, 16gb ram
sketchup 2016 pro, 3ds max 2014, zbrush 4.6
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

I can't say to download from thearender.com site because this must be some accidental signature matching.

Hopefully, it won't be there in next revision.

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote: Not really... the IES File in this case, represents a layer. But you are right in this and the full implementation
will actually be a bit twisted: if you drag & drop the IES file to the layers "Scheme", then it will be added
to the material as a layer (like when you add other materials there). But if you drag & drop this to the
material preview, then it will replace the material completely with - simply - an IES emitter.

I hope the above makes sense. :think:
That is not what happens here.
I get pretty random feeling behaviour somewhere between nothing happening at all, the IES-"material" replacing the material in the Material Lab (no undo here) and the IES being added to the currently visible material in the Preview.

But you wrote it's not heavily tested, so I guess it simply needs some more love :-)

And it's a great and very appreciated feature idea! :-)

Cheers,

Thomas
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

No, this is not implemented yet!

Right now, when you drag & drop an IES file into the material Preview / Layers, the behaviour is identical (or it should be): the Emitter is enabled, the IES profile is enabled and the IES file is used.

When you double click, or right click/Apply on the IES file instead, the IES profile of scene selection is updated with the new file. One issue here: the material editor won't show the update in the parameters (to be fixed).

greetings
yblade
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks Giannis and Thea team :clap:

Marco
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:No, this is not implemented yet!

Right now, when you drag & drop an IES file into the material Preview / Layers, the behaviour is identical (or it should be): the Emitter is enabled, the IES profile is enabled and the IES file is used.

When you double click, or right click/Apply on the IES file instead, the IES profile of scene selection is updated with the new file. One issue here: the material editor won't show the update in the parameters (to be fixed).

greetings
Ah! I see :-)

Thanks for the clarification!

Cheers,

Thomas
Rombout

giannis wrote:
Frankych wrote:Hi Ioannis,
sorry to add to your workload, but I've had problems since rev470 with a scene that used to render fine in rev465, but refuses to render in rev470-472.
The scene will render in BSD mode, but doesn't render in TR1 unless I reduce the render resolution.
The original resolution was 3620x2450.
I wonder if rev470-472 are more memory hungry, or if there are some memory leaks along the process.
No, they are not more memory hungry; obviously with every small addition, more memory is needed but nothing has changed in the two most memory demanding things in Thea (the environment and image). Since the version is 32-bit on Mac, it may be possible that the memory was just marginally enough for RV465 and this is now failing for newer revision. What if you change resolution to 3.5K x 2K, does it work?

In order to make it possible for TR1/TR2 here, there are two ways to go... not perfect but rather workarounds. Either split the image in 2 or 4 parts and render them with region rendering or use None in supersampling.

best wishes

Edit: there is another option to make it possible but this depends... If you open Thea with the darkroom switch (this requires command line), then you won't lose memory resources on the scene view and OpenGL viewport. So, please try this first: open a shell, go to Applications folder and type: "open -a Thea.app --args -darkroom" (on Windows there is a link on the Start menu for this), open the scene and start rendering.
Nice trick, i tested it. But doesnt really matter, they only render the same size of about 3400x1890 on my mac. The difference was minimal, though if i start the studio and hit render the first time it good get big the second time thea could do that size no more.

But i cant really seem to find this on my vista system

For people on a mac i made this automator app for it, now im thinking about good icon for it
LINK
Rombout

Hio Giannis,

you wrote this at the end of RV470
Fixed by taking the index.txt out of the equation (simply scanning all folders now inside MaterialEditor).

This way, we get both problems solved at once;first, the mac issue with index.txt and second, the overwriting
of custom index file that contains extra material rooms than those that come with the installer. ;)

best wishes
but i dont get what you meant by "Fixed by taking the index.txt out of the equation "
The problem is still in R 472
notareal
Thea Support
Thea Support

Rombout wrote:
but i dont get what you meant by "Fixed by taking the index.txt out of the equation "
The problem is still in R 472
Fixed in dev version and naturally available with next public RV.

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”