Thea Render Revision 472

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote: No, they are not more memory hungry; obviously with every small addition, more memory is needed but nothing has changed in the two most memory demanding things in Thea (the environment and image). Since the version is 32-bit on Mac, it may be possible that the memory was just marginally enough for RV465 and this is now failing for newer revision. What if you change resolution to 3.5K x 2K, does it work?

In order to make it possible for TR1/TR2 here, there are two ways to go... not perfect but rather workarounds. Either split the image in 2 or 4 parts and render them with region rendering or use None in supersampling.

best wishes

Edit: there is another option to make it possible but this depends... If you open Thea with the darkroom switch (this requires command line), then you won't lose memory resources on the scene view and OpenGL viewport. So, please try this first: open a shell, go to Applications folder and type: "open -a Thea.app --args -darkroom" (on Windows there is a link on the Start menu for this), open the scene and start rendering.
Hi Ioannis,
I tried back in rev465 and managed to get the render started in TR1.

Now, here are my findings with rev472:
- TR1 render starts fine at 3600x2400 without alpha channel.
- as soon as I ask for alpha channel, render fails.
- lowering the resolution in 200px increments, TR1 render with alpha channel will start at 2200x1466 (maybe at 2300/2400 after a fresh restart)
- BSD render with alpha and AO doesn't even choke at original resolution

Here's two console log example of working and failing renders:

Working render:
Building Environment...Warning: activating instancing mode for saving memory.
done
Nodes: 5304161, Leaves: 2652087, Cache Level: None
Polys: 17009474, Objects: 14623, Parametric: 0
Moving: 0, Displaced: 0, Clipped: 430
Instances: 14433, Portals: 1
Building environment finished in 26 seconds
Total Ray Tests : 37668309, Intersections found : 9380407
Finished in 57 seconds!

Failing render:
Building Environment...Warning: activating instancing mode for saving memory.
done
Nodes: 5304145, Leaves: 2652079, Cache Level: Normal
Polys: 17009474, Objects: 14623, Parametric: 0
Moving: 0, Displaced: 0, Clipped: 430
Instances: 14433, Portals: 1
Building environment finished in 26 seconds
Error: Failed in allocating image (not enough available memory).
Total Ray Tests : 59991, Intersections found : 14511
Finished in 27 seconds!

I hope this makes sense for you.

Cheers
Francois
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Frankych wrote:I hope this makes sense for you.
The reason is that now, a check is being made to see that everything is allocated correctly.

I strongly believe that RV465 was also failing to allocate the Alpha buffer (and later may
be coming unstable). Can you check RV465 to see if there is actually the Alpha buffer
being rendered in TR1? Two buffers of that resolution is on the margin of what can
be rendered with 32-bit version and if you add to that a geometrically complex scene,
I doubt that RV465 was able to deliver that in TR1 (with Normal supersampling).

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi Ioannis,
sorry I can't check right now, but I know it worked since I had to render at this very resolution for photomontage purposes. Maybe it was after a fresh restart but it did work (with alpha).
But now with 472, having to reduce the resolution all the way down to 2200px1466 for TR1 to start rendering with alpha seems weird.
And now I'm having shadow problems (no shaows any more) in BSD mode with my scene (maybe since I took it back to 465).
having a bad day here.

Cheers
Francois
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

My shadows are back after after tickling the location/time ;-)

Cheers
Francois
Lobster
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Yeah!

The Ies workflow looks great, it will be nice to have them really close to hand.

Nice arrows in the diagram

Congrats.

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”