Thea Render Revision 478

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Dear friends,

while we are preparing two very strong features for Thea, we wanted to keep revisions coming out as usual.
For this particular one, there is an improvement for rough glossy sampling in Adaptive BSD mode, that we wanted
to publish it without waiting further.

Let 's see the highlights of this revision, one by one! 8-)

First of all, you can now re-build material (or IES) thumbnails right on disc. Select the ones you like (in a folder), then right
click, Automation > Build Previews. The re-build can take place only in the current folder (if it is needed, we may
add a build for a whole directory structure).
Rebuilding material thumbnails right on Browser.
Rebuilding material thumbnails right on Browser.
BuildPreviewsOnDisc.png (118.4 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Second (and perhaps quite neat for composition purposes), the Visible and Shadow Caster are supported now fully by all
engines. This may give some interesting effects; see the image below rendered with TR1 where the shadow & caustics
of the glass can be seen, but the glass itself is invisible!
Invisible glass with visible shadow and caustics.
Invisible glass with visible shadow and caustics.
water_glass_invisible.jpg (123.69 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Moving on, a somewhat rare but annoying artifact in Adaptive BSD has now been cured. It was a block artifact seen due
to sync loss (with 2+ threads) when irradiance caching was being used. Check the image below, to see how this artifact
looks like (not anymore, now it's fixed).
Artifact in multithreading, with Adaptive BSD and irradiance caching.
Artifact in multithreading, with Adaptive BSD and irradiance caching.
bsd_syncloss_artifact.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Evenmore, a very important improvement regarding rough glossy sampling in the presence of point and area lights. The sampling
for rough materials has been particularly difficult but in new revision, the sampling scheme has been completely changed.
Check the images below rendered using the bathroom scene by Norbert Gorecki (a very difficult scene with a lot of reflectors
and IES lights) and see how the rough material on cupboard and other areas giving high noise in previous revisions is now
vastly improved! The render time has been increased by only 10% which is small considering the quality improvement.
Official release RV474 and previous revisions have hard time with sampling the rough materials. A lot of noise and speckles. [Scene courtesy of Norbert Gorecki]
Official release RV474 and previous revisions have hard time with sampling the rough materials. A lot of noise and speckles. [Scene courtesy of Norbert Gorecki]
RV474_1thread_50mins.png (384.15 KiB) Viewed 858 times
New revision vastly improves rendering quality and essentially removes all high frequency noise. [Scene courtesy of Norbert Gorecki]
New revision vastly improves rendering quality and essentially removes all high frequency noise. [Scene courtesy of Norbert Gorecki]
RV478_1thread_55mins.png (381.46 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Finally, Thea starting from this revision supports reading from 2 license files, making possible to have on the same machine the
studio and client running on different license. Here is a quick description on accomplishing this:
A. First, you need to activate the client using a node license. This way a license file license-XXXXXXXX.client.txt will be also created.
B. Then, you can clear license and activate a studio license. This way a license file license-XXXXXXXX.txt will be created.
C. Now, whenever you launch Thea Studio, the license B will be used. Whenever you launch Thea Client, the license A will be used.
You can even have both of them running at the same time (with different licenses).

I hope you will enjoy the new revision, as always you can find the download links in this thread:
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =61&t=1849

Additional mirror downloads can be accessed directly from the following links:
Windows: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... v1.0.6.exe
Linux: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... 0.6.tar.gz
MacOSX: http://www.solidiris.com/thearender/The ... v1.0.6.dmg

best regards
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Solo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks Giannis, just the fixes I needed, when I needed them... you read my mind. ;)
massimo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0

Thanks Giannis! :) Not sure this is peculiar of this version and not a big deal, but just wonder why if you double click on a material in the browser panel the name changes accordingly in the "general properties" panel while if you drag and drop the material the name doesn't change.
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

massimo wrote:Not sure this is peculiar of this version and not a big deal, but just wonder why if you double click on a material in the browser panel the name changes accordingly in the "general properties" panel while if you drag and drop the material the name doesn't change.
This is the same for previous revisions. Drag and drop changes the current material settings to the one that is dragged.
Double click, on the other hand, adds the material in the material list of the scene and assigns it to all selected models.

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
massimo
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Ok, thanks. :)
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

Thanks for this update, Giannis...!
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
Zacchia
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Been thanked: 0

Hi and thanks for update!
I do not realise the automation thing! When i double click on a material i see this material on the material lab. The same when i do automatinon/build preview. What will be rebuild? Sorry for my misunderstanding!
Windows 7 64 bit, Thea Render, SketchUp Pro
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Zacchia wrote:What will be rebuild?
It is the preview images that need to be rebuild. In general, this is not needed since materials are already coming with built previews.
But for example, you may still want to build previews in different room.

Imagine also, for example, that you add to IES folder 100 new IES profiles. And you would like to have their previews built. Then,
you simply select all of them, Automation > Build Previews - this way you will have your IES profiles with thumbnails. ;)
Zacchia
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Oh, now i got it. Thanks again for friendly support :wave:
Windows 7 64 bit, Thea Render, SketchUp Pro
GreenUser

The speed at which this update came is super impressive. The update is also incredible. Thea's biased engine was already 4 times faster with better results then vray and now it handles blur better. I have to say it again incredible. :clap:

Next up the use of depth map for fast biased SSS?

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”