Thea Render Revision 478

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Giannis,

Thanks! The new licensing is really good news to me!! This is perfect :D

Small question, is the Mac / SU export components bug found and fixed? It's still happening to all of my more developed models, and I still don't know where it goes wrong... Will try 478 tomorrow at work!

Regards,
eph
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

eph wrote: Small question, is the Mac / SU export components bug found and fixed? It's still happening to all of my more developed models, and I still don't know where it goes wrong... Will try 478 tomorrow at work!
I am aware of one bug where instances are not imported correctly on Mac platform (but they are ok on Windows).
We have discovered some issues there that needed fixing first on SU plugin; and Tomasz has corrected them so the
SU plugin side is ok. We still need to fix thea side - this was high priority bug and still is.
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

OK, I suppose an update of the SU plugin will follow when the necessary thea revision is released. Waiting impatiently :mrgreen:
Work: iMac Intel i7 3.4 GHz (8GB RAM), AMD Radeon HD 6970M (2GB RAM), OS X 10.9.5 (FR)
Home: Dell Intel i7 3.6 GHz (16GB RAM), GeForce GTX 750 Ti (4GB RAM), Windows 8.1 64bit (EN)
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

The fix on plugin side was necessary to "clean" first the scene and make it easier to spot the actual problem on thea side.
The scene cleanup was ready 3-4 days ago, but decided to publish this revision anyway.
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
3DCGdesign
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

:clap: Can't wait to check it out. 8-)
urbanstudio
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hello,
the new revision of thea improves a great software, but I had the feeling that it is always hungry for more memory, and so my poor Mac can not do it anymore.
It 'just me?
There is something wrong in my models or will I have to change my home computer?

Mac os x 10.5.8.
2.3 ghz intel core 2 duo
4 Gb 1067 Mhz DDr3
GreenUser

Hi urbanstudio,
Thea is extremely efficient on memory usage for what it does, but there are still some things you can do to cut down on the RAM usage. Keep the displacement map subdivisions down to the lowest level needed. Even one number down will means a huge reduction in the number of polygons calculated. If the object is far away using a bump or normal map instead of displacement can help a lot. Lower resolution textures. The more likely problem is with other programs running on you computer taking up the RAM. I don't use a Mac but heard that it is pretty easy to have a bunch of programs taking up ram and not know that they are there. I also heard that it can be pretty hard to uninstall those programs. If it was windows you could see how much ram you have by pressing ctrl+alt+del > click start task manager > go to performance tab. There has to be something like this for the Mac.

Hope this helps
GreenUser
Pinko
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Tnx Giannis!
ciao
Luca. ;)
eph
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

A bit off topic, but yes, Urbanstudio, Greenuser, for Mac there is the Activity Monitor (default application), and the very handy (and free) iStat Pro widget. Which, of course, will also eat some memory ;)
plot-paris
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks for the update.
I don't know if it was possible before. But being able to make an object invisible while still having it interact with the environment is very valuabe. For example when rendering a floor plan you can simply make the ceiling invisible, while the sunlight is correctly entering through the windows...

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”