Thea Render Revision 478

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

plot-paris wrote:Thanks for the update.
I don't know if it was possible before. But being able to make an object invisible while still having it interact with the environment is very valuabe. For example when rendering a floor plan you can simply make the ceiling invisible, while the sunlight is correctly entering through the windows...
this has been improved further and now works with TR1/TR2 with shadows and caustics. see first post images...
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Something that Sandro also found and may be indeed confusing is that the Hide command makes an object
invisible but still leaves it as shadow caster (i.e. interacting with environment). This is a bit unexpected behaviour,
so from next public revision, the Hide/Show commands (in the scene view popup menu) affect BOTH Visible &
Shadow Caster flags.

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:Something that Sandro also found and may be indeed confusing is that the Hide command makes an object
invisible but still leaves it as shadow caster (i.e. interacting with environment). This is a bit unexpected behaviour,
so from next public revision, the Hide/Show commands (in the scene view popup menu) affect BOTH Visible &
Shadow Caster flags.
Hi Ioannis,
I wouldn't change this, as this can be quite useful.
For example, one can have block models of neighbouring buildings casting shadows onto a new project while being invisible.
I think the user should be responsible to tick/untick the shadow caster and caustics boxes.

Cheers
Francois
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi Ioannis,
I'm still having problems with my 3600x2400 rendering (http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =61&t=5027).
Summary of the problem:
- Final gathering with caustics, high tracing depth, alpha and ambient occlusion renders fine. Scene is roughly 17mil polygons with 14400 instances.
- TR1 will start rendering only if I lower the resolution to 2400x1600, without alpha channel. As soon as I turn on the alpha channel, TR1 doesn't even warm up, it stops after maybe 16-20 seconds.
It's really annoying.

Cheers
Francois
patricks
Thea Technical Artist
Thea Technical Artist
Has thanked: 0

Frankych wrote:Hi Ioannis,
I'm still having problems with my 3600x2400 rendering (http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =61&t=5027).
Summary of the problem:
- Final gathering with caustics, high tracing depth, alpha and ambient occlusion renders fine. Scene is roughly 17mil polygons with 14400 instances.
- TR1 will start rendering only if I lower the resolution to 2400x1600, without alpha channel. As soon as I turn on the alpha channel, TR1 doesn't even warm up, it stops after maybe 16-20 seconds.
It's really annoying.

Cheers
Francois
try turning supersamapling to "None" when rendering with TR1 and such a resolution

Greetings Patrick
" Poets say science takes away from the beauty of the stars - mere globs of gas atoms.
I too, can see the stars on a desert night, and feel them. But do I see less or more ? "

Richard P. Feynman
ciccio
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hello Giannis, in the solid display I noticed that in the viewport the sky is not consistent with the shift of the sun.
It has the color always white.

Modo 501|BLENDER 2.5|Wings 3D|ZBRUSH 4R2|3Dcoat|THEA RENDER|Maxwell 2.5.1|MARMOSET TOOLBAG|
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Frankych wrote:Scene is roughly 17mil polygons with 14400 instances
what's your RAM usage like when you hit render? have a look to see if system runs out of RAM when environment is building. also, are those instances in a group? there's currently a problem where instances use too much RAM if the Packages they belong to are put in groups. the solution for now is simply not to group them.
Frankych
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

patricks wrote: try turning supersamapling to "None" when rendering with TR1 and such a resolution
Greetings Patrick
Hi Patrick,
you've made my day ;-)
Effectively, turning supersampling to none allows the render to happen @3600x2400. And what's even better, I can also activate the alpha channel. Brilliant.

Cheers
Francois
3DCGdesign
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:
massimo wrote:Not sure this is peculiar of this version and not a big deal, but just wonder why if you double click on a material in the browser panel the name changes accordingly in the "general properties" panel while if you drag and drop the material the name doesn't change.
This is the same for previous revisions. Drag and drop changes the current material settings to the one that is dragged.
Double click, on the other hand, adds the material in the material list of the scene and assigns it to all selected models.

best wishes
If I have several instances of a chair with "chrome" and I also have other pieces of furniture with some "chrome" on them, if I CHANGE ONE PLACE where the Chrome material is, how can I get the material change to effect ALL places where "Chrome" is applied in my scene?
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ciccio wrote:Hello Giannis, in the solid display I noticed that in the viewport the sky is not consistent with the shift of the sun.
It has the color always white.
Yes... that was something broken when we re-calibrated sun-sky system and exposure. Problem is fixed now in internal build.

best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”