Thea Render Revision 568

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: patricks

giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ThomasHelzle wrote: I'm rendering at 2560x1600, but I have 14 Gig of RAM, so I'm not sure what the problem may be.
Are you on Windows or OSX?
ThomasHelzle wrote: Also, I measured how long it takes to stop the rendering and it is over 2.5 minutes on average. In this time, CPU usage is around 2-3 % - not sure what's going on there...
Copying stuff around in memory?

The scene is one single object with ~450.000 polys on 5 surfaces.
If needed I can provide the scene, but I tried some more and see the same behaviour on other scenes as well.
I would like very much to have that scene. Memory and thread sync may be the case here, but having a test case will be nice.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Now I wonder if rendering several Channels is slow because there is too much switching between the Buffers or something like that?
Now that building the Environment is multithreaded and superfast, would that be possible for the stopping phase as well somehow?
The channels may affect it but not the multithreading environment building.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Now that there are 16 and more core machines available, I wonder how Thea scales on those...
I personally would like to see a higher Thread limit, even if it is just for testing purposes :-)
Thea does not pose any constraint on the thread, but its default proposal is the same as your CPU cores. In a CPU with 48 cores (yes... DallasRT machine!) it will show 48 cores as the last choice. But it doesn't prevent you to enter any number you like (you may try 16 by editing in the thread edit box, but unless you have hyperthreading support, it won't help).

Please send me the scene. If possible, I would like to treat the bug before public announcement.
best wishes
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thomas, do you have SuperSampling on?
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

I'm on windows 7 Pro 64 Bit.

And thanks for the clarification about Threads, I wasn't aware that I can just type in other values ;-)

I'll try to prepare the scene for you later today if my current job doesn't prevent it.
How do I best bundle a scene with all textures etc.?

Cheers,

Thomas

Edit: SandroS: Yes, it's set to Auto
Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

ThomasHelzle wrote:How do I best bundle a scene with all textures etc.?
Save it as Thea Pack Files (.pack.thea)... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
SandroS
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

ThomasHelzle wrote:Edit: SandroS: Yes, it's set to Auto
set to Auto, the SS will effectively double the render resolution, so in fact Thea is rendering the image at (approx) 5k pixels wide, multiplied by no. of channels and all in 32bit, so you end up with a really big file (often several GB in size - you can find out the exact size by saving a Thea Image file) which can take a while to process and save. that said, 2-5 minutes does seem excessive.

also, as Giannis suggested, do you have Glare enabled? Glare can take a looong time to calculate depending on the settings used. it also needs to be recalculated with every change made in the Darkroom so if you have it active, when the render stops, Thea will first add the glare which may explain why it's taking so long.
ThomasHelzle
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

No, no Glare is active, no other effects either but the default settings. The only extra thing is the Render Channels.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that it takes a moment to stop rendering, I just find 2.5 Minutes a bit excessive ;-)

Scene is underway to Ioannis :-)

Cheers,

Thomas
giannis
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

ThomasHelzle wrote: Don't get me wrong, I understand that it takes a moment to stop rendering, I just find 2.5 Minutes a bit excessive ;-)
True. There may be something going on with auto saving the buffer at the end.
Science may limit knowledge but should never limit imagination - Bertrand Russell
Zacchia
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

giannis wrote:I don't understand the percentages above... :?:
best wishes
Example:
version v1.0.10.505 rendertime with tr1 745 seconds means 100%
version v1.1.01.568 rendertime with tr1 589 seconds means 80%
or
version v1.0.10.505 rendertime with tr1 745 seconds means 123%
version v1.1.01.568 rendertime with tr1 589 seconds means 100%

version v1.0.10.505 rendertime with BSD 880 seconds means 100%
version v1.1.01.568 rendertime with BSD 710 seconds means 80%
or
version v1.0.10.505 rendertime with BSD 880 seconds means 123%
version v1.1.01.568 rendertime with BSD 710 seconds means 100%

Hope you can follow this 8-) Finally i "dreamed" to have half rendertime (speed factor x2). But I know you do your best and I do not want to annoy someone. And I also know that Tea is fast in generall. I just dreaming and be sure sometimes whishes comes true!
Last edited by Zacchia on Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 64 bit, Thea Render, SketchUp Pro
stackpool
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thanks for the new version. :D It does seem much faster. Agree with Massimo about the lack of hover name function in the material panel, particulary with regards to the wattage of emitters.
Rombout

victor wrote:
Rombout wrote:hmmm to bad that 1.2 Colimo isnt ready yet?! :cry:
Colimo 1.2! will be released tomorrow at morning :oops: we've found a small bug in modo script using his native renderer.
und und?! i dont see the link :oops:

Return to “Versions & Resources (Studio)”