Thea for SketchUp: Quicktip Videos

Development versions, documentation, tutorials and application resources may be found here.

Moderator: Tomasz

Frederik
Thea A Team
Thea A Team

DesignR wrote:So you're saying that SketchUp has a way to create UV maps?
Yes, UV-mapping is applied in SketchUp!
Are you sure you know what UV- and UVW-mapping is all about...?!? :think:

If you apply a simple color to an object it won't apply any UV-mapping, however, when you apply a texture, you also apply the UV-mapping to the model by defining the position, scale etc. of that texture...

I'm also saying that although Thea Render has some tools that can help you, you should always apply UV-mapping in whatever modelling application you're using - in your case SketchUp...

Unfortunately SketchUp is known for it's limitations when it comes to UV-mapping, hence the reason why there's a number of great extensions that can help you...

One of the best - currently - is the SketchUV plugin, but also Fredo's ThruPaint can help you a lot...

Finally there's a plugin in development...
Check out the What if unwrapping sketchup models was kinda easy thread at SCF... :)
DesignR wrote:And, as for animating a flyby,... what about Thea Studio? Those other tutorials I mentioned, above, were all about animating in Thea Render - so how does that have nothing to do with it?
Once more, you have excellent methods of animating the camera in SU...
It can be done in Thea Render Studio, but the right place would be in your modelling application...
Cheers
Kim Frederik

"If you have no critics you'll likely have no success..."
-Malcolm X
DesignR
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Thank you for the info on SU UV tools - and, no, I'm not sure what it all is... that's why I'm looking for help. As for SU's animation... in my experience, there is always a micro-pause between 'scenes', even when the setting is '0'. I would think that someone, there at Thea Render, would want to expand our appreciation of it's capabilities by helping us put our (your) beautiful images into motion - but, thank you again.
enneka
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi.
On quicktip video about light, last picture shows light beams, can you please explain us how can we have this result with thea for sketchup.
I really don't know how to do that....
Thanks for your help.
Best regards
george
Thea Render Team
Thea Render Team

@enneka: To create this volumetric effect, you have to create an object in the scene and assign a material with medium only. The camera should always stay outside of that object.

You can follow this Thea for C4D tutorial about light-rays, since the logic is the same.

Greetings,
George
george
Thea Render Team
Thea Render Team

I have attached a simple scene showing volumetrics.

Greetings,
George
Attachments
Volumetrics_SU2015.skp
(309.8 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
enneka
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

Hi.
Thanks for your answer and the scene, I'm gonna check it later today and come back with some pictures.
Best regards.
enneka
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5

george wrote:I have attached a simple scene showing volumetrics.

Greetings,
George
I tried to insert picture inside medium scatter color and i cannot see it with presto MC but it's ok with AMC,...
medium picture.JPG
medium picture.JPG (30.14 KiB) Viewed 475 times
amc.JPG
Do you know if there is Global medium option in sketchup or if we only have the solution to insert box with medium texture ?

But, it's good for me, your solution is great, it will be perfect to do what i want.
I thank you for your advices.

Best regards
george
Thea Render Team
Thea Render Team

Are you using a procedural map in the slot? If yes, then Presto does not support all of them.
Try using an image instead.
Glad it help you. Can't wait and see what you are up to. :)
duanekemp
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

george wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 am I have attached a simple scene showing volumetrics.

Greetings,
George
Hi George,
I know it's an old post, but do you still have this example scene or was this replaced with the Thea Volume model released last year?
SketchUp & Thea Render are my tools
What else is there to know? :-)

Thea Render Facebook Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/shadenlightusersgroup/

https://duanekemp.artstation.com/ - https://www.facebook.com/Kemp.Productions
Rombout

duanekemp wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:54 pm
george wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:49 am I have attached a simple scene showing volumetrics.

Greetings,
George
Hi George,
I know it's an old post, but do you still have this example scene or was this replaced with the Thea Volume model released last year?
You do know how it works already, your using fogg already in your renders. Thats is Volumetric Rendering ;)

Return to “Versions & Resources (SketchUp)”