[Fixed] Long parsing with proxy generated inside SU #2713

Ask a question about usage of application or give us your feedback regarding new features and bug issues.

Moderator: Tomasz

Post Reply
caecarvalho
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Hello,

it's been a while I noticed this, but I didn't have the time to post before. I found that Thea for SU takes a very long time to parse a scene with skatter when using proxies created within SU. I was trying to make a rug using a proxy created directly from within SU and skatter. It took almost 1 minute to start rendering. When I did the same experiment with a model exported as thea scene and brought back with Thea browser, It took 1 second to start rendering. Both experiments were made using same model and same skatter settings.
I'm attaching the models with the slow proxy and the fast proxy if someone wants to test.
PS:There might be the need to relink the models in Thea browser.
PS2: Skatter version used was 1.1.0/SU 2015/ thea latest rev

regards,

Caetano
Attachments
Thea rug_parsing times.zip
ZIP FILE
(478.47 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
User avatar
Rombout
Posts: 15254
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Not sure whats happening here, ive check both mod files and they both have the same amount of object (229) they both have around 172k polys. Its just the naming of the components which seems different in su. The fast one has the correct name for the component as the mod file, the other one doesnt.

Ive tried making a new scene importing the mod files fresh from the start. Didnt make any difference, the slow version still has a long startup time. Stopping the render also takes ages.

Weird thing is when i added the slow version aside of the quick one it also starts quick. BUt when you render the scene with the slow one skattered it keeps being slow. Are these 2 mod files created in the same method? I do wonder why they are different in file size though
User avatar
Rombout
Posts: 15254
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Okay i just redid the export from studio from both patches and this makes them both start the render at the same time. I think something went wrong with your export perhaps.

I did noticed a bug also how ever. when you export the mod file and rename it from thea studio browser. The mod file is changed to a scn.thea file. This can be fixed by typing the full name+mod.thea or change it through the finder
User avatar
Tomasz
Thea Developer
Thea Developer
Posts: 9068
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:09 pm
Contact:

Thank you for the test model.
I have a similar report sent by a Personal Message. I am investigating why it is happening.
caecarvalho
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Okay i just redid the export from studio from both patches and this makes them both start the render at the same time. I think something went wrong with your export perhaps.


Hi Rombout,

Actually I don't think there's anything wrong with the way I exported. What I was saying is that when export is made from within SU, with the recently added method (right click the component and export thea.mod), there's something that happens in this process that make the parsing time when using this proxy with skatter, very long. This doens't happen when using a proxy created by the old method (export the component with thea tools as thea.scene, export thea.mod from Thea studio, and load thea.mod in SU). The names being different is because I changed them prior to uploading to make it easier to whoever wants to test to know wich one is causing parsing to be slow.
One interesting thing you pointed is that the file sizes are different even though one can confirm they have the same structure when openning the file.
The steps to reproduce this are simple:
1) Create a patch of grass or fur in sketchup;
2) Convert the patch into proxy from within SU (right click the patch component/thea render/export mod.thea)
3) Use skatter to scatter the proxy on a plane(5mx5m), cover all the plane until you don't see the plane/rit render with presto ao interactive.

This method should give a long parsing to start rendering.

Cheers,

Cae
quickit
Licensed User v1.5
Licensed User v1.5
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:10 pm

Rombout wrote: I did noticed a bug also how ever. when you export the mod file and rename it from thea studio browser. The mod file is changed to a scn.thea file. This can be fixed by typing the full name+mod.thea or change it through the finder
This is a known bug I spotted a very long time ago. NEVER rename a thea model in the browser. the model gets changed to scn.
you have 2 workarounds: rename scn to mod from outside thea studio (explorer, acdsee, etc.) or import the model into scene, then rename in the model tab, then delete the existing model in the browser, redrag the renamed model to the cleaned browser.
User avatar
Rombout
Posts: 15254
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Curacao, Netherland Antilles

Nee problem or i believe old problem actually. Mod file receives 2x mod in the file name.
Post Reply

Return to “Support & Feedback (SketchUp)”