Inspire Render Honest Review

Everything related to Altair Inspire Render beta

Moderator: claudio

mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 12:54 pm

Following thi discussion https://www.thearender.com/forum/viewto ... 85&t=26489, and in order not to makes things to complexes there, here is an attempt at an Honest Inspire Render Review, with an Archviz objective, in the context of a previous use of Thea Studio and current use of Thea4Su.

To begin this review, the first question is, obviously : why was I using the studio previously, and why could I want to use it in the future?

- Handle large scenes that sketchup could not, by merging complexes elements from rhino for example.
- Create collections of proxies, and edit them
- Scatter a lot a vegetation (but that not so much a question now as I turn my workflow toward skatter)

So, that being said, I will use here a really simple (and quite frankly not that sexy) small office scene. It’s light and a good testing ground. You could download it here to see for yourself. I made it years ago, and render it back then with Thea v1.5. So the idea is to see how Inspire will handle it, if I’m considering it as a kind of super Thea Studio V2.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
BUREAUX 02.jpg

I’ll not talk about the interface itself initially, but more the performance and look of things.
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 12:56 pm

Fisrst steps :

The model is not displayed through the last camera, as Thea will do, but from far away, and you have to look for the camera in order to get the view you want, which is not too practical.
2020-05-28_14h41_28.jpg
In there, for some reason, you have the wireframe of the camera object taking a lot of your screen space, and no clear indication on how to hide it… rather perturbing

2020-05-28_14h37_09.jpg
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 pm

After looking a bit around, it's possible to activate the so called "realistic mode", and frankly, it's quite far from current standard, so it’s not a feature I will push up front it I was you...

There is a lot of aliasing, a rather dirty kind of SSAO everywhere, some materials are displayed in a funny way ( the glass suddenly turn green in this scene).

In addition, it often behave really strangely, and in my test scene, suddenly all turned to black, with no hint on how to resolve it...

2020-05-28_14h57_53.jpg
2020-05-28_14h13_07.jpg
2020-05-28_14h03_08.jpg
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm

After playing a bit around with the "realistic" open GL, I decided to see how the interactive render was behaving.

And, well, in this scene it's totally unusable, as it generates non existing geometry, and generaly mess everything up (and in addition, this really annoying white camera wireframe is still present right in the middle of the picture as it was the case in open GL...). And, as usual, there is absolutely no hint on why it is behaving the way it does...
2020-05-28_15h09_02.jpg
As a comparison point, here is the result of the same scene interactively render in Thea Studio

2020-05-28_15h11_21.jpg
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 1:14 pm

claudio wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:10 pm
What version did you use?
What version of what ?

Inspire Render 2019.4, downloaded yesterday evening, so, rather fresh
Thea Studio 1.5.09
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 1:22 pm

Then I turned toward the Darkroom, and as said by DBALEX in another thread, it’s a real, kind of ridiculous, issue to have to open a new window, with a long loading time from within the studio !! That with this kind of detail that we can see that this tool have not been built from the ground up as a render studio.

So, I did a speed and result test, and once again, I'm disappointed by the results...

On the test scene, with Presto MC and a 10spp objective, here is a small test

Thea Studio v1.5 : (No initial loading time) 7s for the first frame / 11s ending
Thea4Su v2.2 : (After a 11s “darkroom” loading) 16s for the first frame / 18s ending
Inspire Render : (After a 13s “connecting with darkroom”) 15s for the first frame / 20s ending

So in this case Inspire is underperforming in every point, and in general, Thea v2 is worst than v1, by a large margin, at displaying the first frame, wich is rather sad considering that all thing in technology

In addition, with exactly the same settings, the final image even look worst than how it does in Thea Studio (much much darker, and with a different color balance / contrast)
2020-05-28_15h20_08.jpg
2020-05-28_15h20_48.jpg
So, I will not say that I'm amazed by the results or seduce by the speed...
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 1:41 pm

So, I'm not sure where to go from here... there is a lot to say on the material editor, and others things, but I will do more stress tests on old Thea Scene to see how it behave.
claudio
Thea Developer
Thea Developer

Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm pretty sure I said that realtime works best in exterior scenes, not so much in interiors....

The camera frame you see, are just two cameras one on top of the other and you see the other camera. Hide the cameras and you'll be fine.

The glass error has been fixed in upcoming version 2020.

The point of having a separate window is to let you render while you work. Now don't tell me that 10 seconds more for a rendering (that might take minutes) is something meaningful.

You haven't mentioned the denoiser, which can cut rendering times by 10x sometimes

The difference in rendering colors may just be a missing crf.
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I said that realtime works best in exterior scenes, not so much in interiors....
well, I didn't see anything about that, but, I believe you... and Architecture is a lot about interior spaces.
The camera frame you see, are just two cameras one on top of the other and you see the other camera. Hide the cameras and you'll be fine.
Ok, it works, but is the no way to hide/ show all helpers (cam, lights) directly ?
The point of having a separate window is to let you render while you work. Now don't tell me that 10 seconds more for a rendering (that might take minutes) is something meaningful.
Honestly, when you spend your day doing renders, this 10 seconds of lag + the extra time before the first frame is annoying, and even more when you see all other application cutting down parsing time and loading time, not the other way around. In addition, it's a good example of the feeling the user could get of a application made of bits and pieces glues together...
You haven't mentioned the denoiser, which can cut rendering times by 10x sometimes
I haven't mention denoiser as it was not relevant in this comparison between Studio and Inspire. It's true that denoiser could help, but in all the example I'm working on (with Thea4Su), the difference in time is good, but nowhere near 10x, if you want to keep detail in complexe textures (wood for example).
mrwip
Thea Beta Tester
Thea Beta Tester

Thu May 28, 2020 2:52 pm

I'm pushing forwrd this test, now with a scene a bit heavier (160Mo).

I didn't precise it previously, but I working with an i75820k, 24 Gb RAM, and 2xGTX1080Ti +1xGTX Titan X, so a pretty efficient rig, so far.

In Studio it move really well, fast and easily in the open GL viewport. In Inspire, in the simple shaded mode, I get a painful 3-5 fps, which is pretty disappointing, and make me wonder how it will look with a really heavy scene (I was use to work with 3-5 Gb Thea scenes)..
2020-05-28_16h50_53.jpg
2020-05-28_16h51_00.jpg
These users thanked the author mrwip for the post:
Pixero (Fri May 29, 2020 9:11 am)
Rating: 4%